Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Trash compactor GCG1580p0ss - Ram stays in the down position

Customer Question
with motor running constantly....
Trash compactor GCG1580p0ss - Ram stays in the down position with motor running constantly. does not return to up right position.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/6/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

You need to replace the drive gear assembly,in order to do this you will need to remove compactor from under cabinet tip it down on it's side and remove the bottom cover, this is located right under the bottom cover, the main gear the big one in the picture is what usually cracks and breaks, we do a lot of these on different compactors including yours, you can order this at the blue link below.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gear/269615?modelNumber=GCG1580P0SS in it comes with instructions, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

The drive gear is not cracked. Could it be the reverse switch?
Any other suggestions?

Will you say you hear the motor running but it doesn't come back up if the motor is running it definitely have something to do with the gears or possibly the Rams, the reverse switch wouldn't cause this problem because the motor still running in it it was still trying to go down the motor would overheat and trip your overload, these are the RAM rods, you need to take the top off and check the power not on the ramrod, it may have broken and is not going up the Rod, it's definitely mechanical and electrical, there is a link below to all the diagrams.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Compactor-Parts/Model-GCG1580P0SS/0432/0110000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=GCG1580P0SS hope this helps thanks, Bryan

Bryan,

Your first thought may be correct...the motor turns and the large & small plastic gears turn but not the chain that drive the threaded ram rods. Does this sound like a cracked main gear at where the chain sprocket attaches?

The at sounds like it's probably got a crack you can't see and it's loose, are you able to turn the gear by hand and the ramrod turns? Make sure you have this unplugged I know it sounds stupid but I once was working on one in it plugged it in to test power and without realizing I hadn't unplugged it again I turn the gear in the reverse switch kicked in and took my finger through the chain and sprocket, quite a few stitches there so be careful make sure it's completely unplugged, I'm pretty sure you need to replace the gear assembly but you got a make sure that it's not the RAM , if you turn the gears by hand and it starts to go up and you know the gear is the problem, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician