Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX things could have happened to the unit in this scenario. The first thing is it probably overheated and blew the thermal fuse on the magnetron and or one of the other fuses, which can be repaired for an estimate of 120-150. However running it that way could have caused permanent damage to the magnetron and other high voltage components which would lead to a costly repair of between 250-300. That particular microwave could be replaced for around 200-275 depending on the model you choose, I have even seen them for under 200. If you need further assistance just let me know, otherwise please press the accept button and leave a comment, thank you.
There is no residual smell of anything electrical burnt. A repairman has given her an estimate of $95 to determine the problem.
That sounds about right for a service call.
Do you think it is a wise risk to spend the $95 to see if it could be repaired? She can get a new micro for about 200 and 100 for installation?
Well anything can be repaired, I know you don't smell anything burned so it could be just a thermal fuse, but again it could have damaged other expensive components. The 95 will only cover the diagnosis not the labor and repair, ask him to give you an estimate on the thermal fuse or high limit,see what that would cost.