Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool Duet Replacement Parts Installed Worked Only For A While

I have a Whirlpool Duet...

I have a Whirlpool Duet that needs a new computer control board. Ordered the replacement part twice. When the new part arrives and it is installed, it works for a moment. Then it makes a grinding noise and the smell of burnt electronics. If I put the old one back it it goes to a F01 error.

3/1/2011
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I suspect your motor control board is shorted and is causing the issue you are having. I believe you are replacing the main control at the top RH corner, correct? Remove the rear cover and look closely at the motor control board mounted to the bottom of the cabinet. You will likely see some visible burn marks on that board. Let me know what you find and what part number control you are replacing.

I am replacing the unit in the top right hand corner. There were a few part number changes since the parts list were published. I was assured that part number W10205842 was the correct version and is what I have.
You should know I didn't replace the first one, the local technician was baffled by this as well. I ordered the part myself assuming he just didn't know what he was doing and have the same problem. If I put my original one back in, it works to the F01 error but doesn't burn up and go black.

On that control is a 3 wired plug that is in a slot labeled MI3. That plug is on the back side of the machine. Remove that wire from the control and let me know what it does when you try to start a cycle. You will not get any motor movement, just FYI.

I removed the cable at MI3 and turned the unit on. When I pressed start (on the drain cycle) there was the same loud noise, a flash of light from the control unit (the new one) and all lights began to flash rapidly.

Okay, remove the wires from the drain pump and try the same thing and see what happens. You can put the MI3 connector back in. And have you replaced the pump? I am not sure from reading your initial post.

The repair man we originally hired did replace the pump. I removed the black plug from the drain pump and there were no sparks! The drum turned and then nothing. The unit stayed on (14 Minutes) and I was able to turn it off and turn it on again to get the same result. I didn't wait more than a few minutes.

It sounds like the harness from the control to the pump is bad. It is probably shorted somewhere where it has been pinched. Follow the harness from the pump to the control to locate the problem area. You almost got it figured out. Great job!

I don't see any problems with the harness. I'm looking at the one that runs up the machine on the front right hand side. Looks like some cables come out to the door lock and then up the control board.

Also. Why would the behavior be different between the old and the new control boards?

Likely due to changing the old controls, probably a "watchdog" circuit in the new control prevents the control from damaging other components when shorted.

Ok, that makes sense. Should I order a new harness?

If it were me, I would. The problem obviously lies in the existing harness. Did you see anything that looked suspicious with the old one? Also, anything weird with the pump terminals?

Nothing suspicious with either. I'll order up the harness and let you know how it goes. Thanks for being so responsive!

You are very welcome. And you are sure the tech put the new pump in, right? The old one wasn't reinstalled after it still didn't work?

He put the pump in after the new circuit board didn't work after "whirlpool" suggested he replace the pump just in case. He suggested a new pump either way as the old one was well used. We had never known to clean it, there were bobby pins and money in it when I tried cleaning it to resolve the original issue.
What part number is the harness?

Part number for the harness is W10204534, available from http://www.appliancezone.com/ for $16.60 + shipping. It is number 1 in the picture...

I think we come to the same end result, but I found some more information that may be useful to our case. I removed the control boards from each of the plastic housings. There are burn marks on both units, both in the same area around connection point DP2 or possibly DL3. Based on this I assume I also need another replacement control unit. At $100 a pop I'm afraid it will blow another one. Is there anything else that can cause these things to pop?
Thanks!

It is probably at DP2, which is the connection for the drain pump. If the pump has been replaced and the harness is going to be replaced, you should be in good shape.

Kelly, Appliance Technician

On a trip to costco (where we purchased the washer) I mentioned my problems with this unit and they encouraged me to return it so we did. They have a great return policy, it was 2.5 years old. I'm off to buy a new one, do you have any model and brand reccomendations?
Thanks for your great fast help!

Wow, that's awesome! I am still a die hard Whirlpool fan. If it were me, I'd go Whirlpool. Stay away from imports like LG, Samsung, Bosch, Asko. Whirlpool and Frigidaire are pretty hard to beat. Ya gotta love Costco!

Kelly, Appliance Technician