Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kenmore 110 top-load washer will agitate, but does so for

only brief periods of time...
My Kenmore 110 top-load washer will agitate, but does so for only brief periods of time (about 10 seconds every few minutes. It takes several hours to complete the cycle. Can you help me identify the defective part ?

Joel
2/26/2011
John, Home Appliance Technician

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

Does the motor keep going but no agitator.

No. The motor is intermittent. The coupling appears to be fine since the agitator does spin when the motor is on. It's just that the motor cuts out after 10 seconds. Every few minutes, it starts agitating again. Some electronics part appears to overload or short.
What s the model number of the washer, did you notice if the motor has a capacitor on the motor its a black part its round with two wires to it.

The model number of the Kenmore washer is 110.92588210

I have replaced the cover and returned the washer to a difficult-access position, so I cannot see the motor at this moment.

Does it do the same thing in the spin cycle.
Yes. I just advanced the dial into what should be the spin cycle and after a delay, it did spin for about 10 seconds.
Thank you. So that capacitor is on the motor housing ? Do I access it from underneath the washer and do I need to remove the cover to get to it ?
If you can tip the washer back you can if you cant then the cabinet has to come off, I can send you a video on how to remove the cabinet if thats what you have to do.
Thank you I will hit the Accept Answer so you will get paid. I do know how to take the cover off, as I did that to replace the lid switch (wrong repair). Thank you for your help.

Your very welcome If you require more assistance let me know please.

Thanks and God bless.

John, Home Appliance Technician
Hello Sir,

This past weekend we communicated about the problem I've been having with my Kenmore Top Load Washer. As you may recall, my problem is that the washer fills and then the agitation cycle begins, but agitation only procedes for about 10 seconds before it stops. It then sits for about 2 minutes before it agitates again for another 10 seconds, followed by stopping again for another 2 minutes. The same problem occurs in the spin cycle. Overall a load of wash takes more than 8 hours to run. At your suggestion, I have replaced the motor start capacitor, but this has not resolved the problem. Do you have any other suggestions for me ?

Joel
When this happens id the motor very hot to touch.
It's tough for me to determine that because I've put the cabinent back on. To test the function, I am currently running a cycle. The washer is full of water. I will skip forward to the spin cycle to empty it and then tip it back to feel the motor. This will take some time.
You can have the washer working without the cabinet on so once its off leave it off to check the motor while in motion.
I'll do that. As I understand it, the spin cycle will not activate unless the lid switch is connected and the lid is closed. Is this correct ?
Thats correct so you can bypass the switch just use a lumper wire at the connection.
I've just opened the cabinent and felt the motor. It is rather hot to the touch.
And how long has it been on .
I've been running it for 25 minutes
If it cuts out like that and the motors hot the problem is the motor it over heats and cuts out on the motor overload.
I understand. Is it worth it for me to replace the motor ?

yes its worth replacing and you know how .

The part number is 380248 and the price $132.84. At Sears.

Thank you again for your help. I will order the part. Do you have a video link you can direct me to so I can understand how to separate the motor from the drive coupling ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPGs2UMUJc

Heres the video on how to replae that part.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. Do I need to hit "Accept Answer" again ?

No you have Accepted a great feed back you can do though.

Thanks and Cod Bless.

I'd be happy to do that. As I recall, I got to the feedback section after hitting accept answer. I thought that I did leave feedback the last time, but perhaps that did not send through. Is there another route to get to the feedback section ?
No I don't think so Thats ok just glad to get it fixed up for you.
Well thank you. I won't hesitate to work with you again. Be well.
Thanks you to take care.
John, Home Appliance Technician