Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Elite HE4T that is about 4 years old. My daughter

was pushing several buttons and...
I have a Kenmore Elite HE4T that is about 4 years old. My daughter was pushing several buttons and now it won't work. There is NO power button on it. You select the load cycle, water temp and push start. Nothing works, its dead. I've tried everything I can find, pushing cancel twice, unplugging, etc. no luck. Any other ideas??
2/18/2011
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician

Justin :

Is there an LED lit on the control?

Justin :

Your daughter may have locked the control accidentally. Usually there is a button with a padlock icon beside it. If you press and hold that button, an LED will light and it'll lock you out.

Justin :

Check that to see if one single LED is lit, if not we'll go from there.

Justin :

Also, I'll require your model number. Open the door, you'll find the tag on the frame.

Customer:

no LED, nothing lit at all on the panel, Model number 110.45986402

Justin :

Ok. Do you see a button though with a padlock icon

Justin :

One second while I research your model. Be back in a minute or two. Stand by

Customer:

no, there is a button that you push for 3 seconds to lock and unlock controls, i pushed it for three seconds, now it says controls are locked

Justin :

Ok. So we know we have power to that control panel. This is good.

Justin :

Unlock your console again, unplug for two FULL minutes. When you plug the unit back in, ensure the room is dead silent. Place your ear on the top of the machine near the right front corner and plug the unit back in. Let me know if you hear a click.

Justin :

It'll be very subtle if there is one, so make the room as silent as you can.

Customer:

ok, unlocked, did it for 2 minutes, dead silent, could not hear any click

Justin :

Ok. Thank you. Here's what I think:

Customer:

tried both corners, no luck

Justin :

Since your control panel has the ability to unlock/lock and an LED comes on, this tells me the user interface panel is receiving the required 5 volts DC from the main control unit. The click I was having you listen for would suggest another issue. I'm confident you need the user interface panel. Since we know power is getting to it due to the locking feature working, I'm feeling that some part of the circuitry has failed within that interface. The part number you'll require is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand retails for around $175.

Customer:

Is this something a technician has to come and put in or is it something i can buy from sears and install myself? are there directions for its install?

Justin :

To access and replace, you must remove the three screws from the rear of the top. Push the top panel towards the back a few inches and it lifts off. Then you'll have access to the user interface. The repair, on a scale of difficulty of 1 to 10 is about a 3. There are a few tricky things. You might consider taking the console to an appliance shop and have them install the user interface into it. There are a few tricks which are sort of difficult to describe

Justin :

All you do is remove the wiring from the main control board and you can take the console and user interface off in one piece. There are no direction. You can buy that part anywhere that sells Whirlpool parts. I'd suggest looking around online for the best price.

Customer:

so is the console the top unit that unscrews? then unplug everything?

Justin :

It's not really too tough. If you have a good mechanical aptitude, you can do it without much of a problem. There's just a few clips holding that user interface in which can get tricky. If you take the console to a local appliance shop, they'd probably charge you a few bucks, but it's not worth paying a service call unless you're certain you can't do it. The console is the whole plastic piece which houses the buttons and the interface controls behind it. This plugs into the main board on the upper right side rail.

Justin :

The dispenser slides into it... it's the whole upper front piece. 30" by 8"

Justin :

Hang on a sec.

Customer:

ok,

Justin :

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/K0607044-00003.png Part 1 is the console I'm referring to. Part 3 is the part you need to replace.

Justin :

3 snaps into part 1 and is also screwed it. The snap clips are the pain. Otherwise, it's a simple repair.

Justin :

That's my diagnosis. Generally speaking, when you have any power to any button or LED, that generally rules out the main machine control board.

Justin :

And that goes for most any appliance.

Justin :

I think you can handle it. Just talking with you, I can tell you're intelligent.

Customer:

thank you very much, i guess we'll give it a shot

Justin :

Hang tight

Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician

Check out www.repairclinic.com and enter that part number I gave you. The part number will change to their ITEM number but it's the same part. If that part doesn't fix it, repair clinic will take it back.

Sorry, I thought you left so I changed live chat to Q and A. No big deal. You can also use this mode to let me know how everything turned out. I just wanted to let you know about repair clinic.

that part is out, any other place?

www.searspartsdirect.com actually has it a few dollars cheaper. They show it's in stock.

Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician