Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Elite Mod. 106.54606300 side-by-side refrigerator.

Customer Question
The water dispenser on the...
I have a Kenmore Elite Mod. 106.54606300 side-by-side refrigerator. The water dispenser on the front of the door has stopped working. My ice maker is still getting water to make ice. Any suggestions as to why the water dispenser has stopped dispensing water?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/10/2011
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Is the dispenser still dispensing ice? Any sound at all when you press for ice or water?

Barry
The dispenser is still dispensing ice. When I press the water dispenser, it makes the usual hum but no water comes out. I have also changed out the water filter but it did not change the situation.
I cannot tell if removing the kickplate without having a hard time with the water filter is the case with your model.

Can you remove your kick plate in the front and leave the water filter in?

Barry
Yes
Great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a Kenmore model you cannot.

Get a towel and remove the kick plate. Your water line for the dispenser comes out under the door and should go to a connector. Seperate the water line then tap the dispenser a little like you were getting water. Does water come out there?

Barry
No water came out when I pressed the water dispenser. I noticed that the valve on the back of the unit is a dual valve. Can one side go bad?
Yes one side can. What I was looking for was water frozen in the door, Thats very common this time of the year. So now we know if it is frozen at all it is going to be in the water tank. Also you are hearing the valve hum when you try to get water.

Behind the crisper drawers is either a water tank or a coiled up tube. Can you squeeze or push or bend and tell if its frozen?

Edited by Barry G on 2/10/2011 at 7:06 PM EST
After a bit of effort was able to get to the large coil behind the crisper drawer. It appears that the coil may be frozen as it makes a cracking sound when you move the tubing. Cannot squeeze the tubing.
Yes thats the sound. You can melt it with a hair dryer just keep it moving so you do not over heat the wall or other plastic parts. Test every now and then at the dispenser so you will know when you are done.

That will take care of it.
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician