Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an 7 year old whirlpool duet washer and dryer. There

Customer Question
I have an 7 year...
I have an 7 year old whirlpool duet washer and dryer.

There are 2 buttons you push to start a cycle. The first button "control on", all the lights turn on, but when I push the "hold to start", it immediately switches to the Sensing mode (for the amount of wetness of clothes) and goes no further.

I've hit the reset button, and I can hit the button to shut the control lights off, but can't get it to start to dry the clothes. So, could you tell me what this might be and then the expense of paying- is it worth it? Or should I be looking to buy a new dryer?

Thank you,
Susan
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/10/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Whirlpool Duet
GEW 9200 LW1
Bought in May 2005
Thanks,
Susan
is this giving you any error codes?
if this shows up in the place where it indicates the time amount, no. It shows 34 minutes (the setting I chose) and does not change

ok, you need to put this in diagnostic test mode, try this

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all

indicators off).

2. Press the following button sequence: More Time ? Less

Time ? More Time ? Less Time - all within 5 seconds.

3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with "88"

showing in the "Estimated Time Remaining" (two-digit)

display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

lst me know if it enters the test mode.

It does go into test mode and all lights come red except "cycle complete" and that has a green light on it.
Thanks
did the "88" show up in the window (led window)
yes

TEST #6 Door Switch Test

in the diagnostic mode, Functionality is

verified with a beep each time the door is closed and opened;

and an alpha numeric code appears in the display ("0E", "0g",

"1E", or "2E" etc.).

test the door switch see if a code comes up. open and close the door.

Yes it beeps and the code is 3E

E3

User interface

or software

mismatch

"E3" flashes when there is a keyswitch or

software mismatch. This error code will ONLY

appear when in the Diagnostic Test mode. See

TEST #5.

unfortunately from here it looks like you control board is bad, this testing gets to complicated form here however. you would need a volt meter and understanding of how to test different components individually from inside the machine, it's going to be a problem with the control board itself or the user interface, the control board itself is $180 and the interface is $220 and you don't want to start replacing these parts without knowing which one is bad, this means testing each individual interface button and control board outputs, this may be a little bit over your head at this point, there is a thick book of tests to go through, unfortunately there's not much more we can do on line, at this point it's best to either call a technician which probably with parts and labor will run you around $350 or replace machine itself, I wish we could go further but it gets real complicated from here, my guess however is you control board has failed, hope I've been of some help, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

So, if I buy the interface and control board, put one in and it doesn't work, then try the other one. I think the control board is not hard to swap out, but I haven't found any info yet on the interface, is that ususally something handy with electronics (my husband - he evens owns a volt meter!).

Thanks,

well I beleive its the control board and if you order it at this link they let you return it if it doesnt solve the problem, click this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/1060737?modelNumber=GEW9200LW1
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician