Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, my sears kenmore gas dryer will not tumble but it heats(I

can feel it) and the...
Hello, my sears kenmore gas dryer will not tumble but it heats(I can feel it) and the motor is turning(I can feel the air and hear it turning)but no movement in the drum/barrel. Is there a drive belt that could have slipped or broken or is there a drive shaft/direct drive?

Where is the belt access, what part#?

Kenmore Heavy duty MDL#m50204920
8751511075151
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/9/2011
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. all dryers have a belt that turns the drum. give me one min to pull up your model number

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

ok

S.E.Thomas :

im sorry, i just looked at your model number and this is not a model number. the model number will be located either inside the door of the dryer or on the rear of the unit. it will contain 11 numbers and appear like this 123.12345678

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

try #110.87515110

S.E.Thomas :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

ok

S.E.Thomas :

ok, there are a few ways you can look at the belt. you are going to need to lift the top no matter what so lets do that first. to do this remove the dryer filter and the two philips screws found at the filter opening.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know when that is done

S.E.Thomas :

once those screws are removed you can put your hand on the back corner of the top and pull forward. this will allow you to lift that front corner. do this on both sides to release the top. the top will simply lift up and hinge on the back edge.

S.E.Thomas :

the belt is around the center of the drum. if you can see it there try to pull it out of the dryer. if it lifts right out then it is broken. if it is not seen there then it has fallen down to the bottom of the dryer.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know what you find when the top is lifted.

S.E.Thomas :

are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

hello;

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

sorry for the delay my computer battery had died and took longer to charge than normal. The belt is broken and what is the part # XXXXX procedure for replacement(I see a belt self adjusting tensioner has fallen off can you provide a diagram for re-installation?

S.E.Thomas :

ok

S.E.Thomas :

the idler pulley just sits in 2 grooves and falls off every time the belt breaks

S.E.Thomas :

the part number is XXXXX

S.E.Thomas :

have you already removed the front panel?

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

Is that the lower panel in front?

S.E.Thomas :

what panels have you removed? you need to remove the lower panel first then the entire front panel with the door. the lower front panel just unclips at the top and folds down

S.E.Thomas :

the large front panel has 2 screws that are just down, about 3 inches inside of the dryer holding the front. you will also need to loosen the 2 screws at the bottom of the front panel at each corner. the front panel will lift off of these two screws and set it around the right side of the dryer. doing this you will not need to remove the wires from the door switch.

S.E.Thomas :

are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

yes, just trying to keep up

S.E.Thomas :

ok sorry, where are you at now?

S.E.Thomas :

can you please let me know what you are doing at the moment?

S.E.Thomas :

i just dont want you taking apart something that should not come apart.

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

I've removed the front panel/door assembly and can clearly see the drum , motors etc

S.E.Thomas :

now you need to get the new belt and install it. then you simply put the front panels and top back on. the idler pulley has 2 tabs on it and there are two holes in the bottom of the dryer that it sits in. the tension of the belt holds it in the grooves

S.E.Thomas :

the belt can be purchased at your local appliance parts store or on line at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price. again the part number is XXXXX

S.E.Thomas :

it will make life a lot easier if you have someone hold the drum up in place while you put the belt on and reinstall the front.

S.E.Thomas :

it is getting late here and i will not be here much longer tonight. can you please reply back asap with any further questions? im not sure if you are having computer trouble or why it takes so long for me to get your reply but i will wait for a few min to see if i get a reply back from you.

S.E.Thomas :

530 am is coming fast. not sure what time zone your in but it is 1210 am here.

S.E.Thomas :

hope everything is ok.

JACUSTOMER-747f33oe- :

thanks man , this helped me finish a project and get momma off my back-TM

S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician