Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE Adora refrigerator freezer-serial #FG421580, model#DSS25KSRASS

Customer Question
(at right hand lower corner...
GE Adora refrigerator freezer-serial #FG421580, model#DSS25KSRASS (at right hand lower corner of inside metal tab-200D2619P059 (the last "0" has a slash (/) thru it). Unit is working fine but no ice, cubes or crushed, no water from the dispensor. I can remove the unit which moves the ice to the dispensor. What do you suggest? Oh, the fridg. is 7-8 yrs old.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/3/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay there is ice being made correct? It's falling into the ice bucket correct, you just can't get it out through the front and you can't get any water either but there are ice cubes in the bin?

No. No ice is being made. No water is dispensed either from the lever on the door when ice water is called for. Right now neither cubes nor crushed ice is being made.

One more question...where is the green accept button?

Sorry I had to go out last night, so the icemaker is not producing ice and dropping it into the bin am I understanding you correctly? I'm going to be going out around eight o'clock this morning and I won't be back till around 10 am sounds like you have a water inlet valve issue if the icemaker is not producing ice at all, so when you pull the bin out theres no ice in it? If there is no ice you won't get cubed or crushed ice out the dispenser, when you push for ice do you hear the motor running like it's trying to dispense? Let me know, if you get this early enough I'll try to answer you before I leave if not I'll be back around 10 AM and get you your answer, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Yes. When I push for ice the motor runs, but there is no ice.
I was looking at your model and the first thing you want to try before replacing valve is pull the crisper drawer out in the refrigerator section in behind it there will be a chiller tank, some refrigerators have all the water go through this chiller tank, sometimes this tanks will freeze, take a have dryer and warm this chiller tank up really good periodically testing to see if any water comes out while you doing it, you're refrigerator has a dual valve, one side is for the water in the door the other side is for the ice maker, it's unusual that both sides will go out at one time, the valve is located on the back of the refrigerator where your water line connects to the refrigerator, another test to make sure you getting power to it is to pull a refrigerator away from the wall and put your hand on the water line from the house right where it connects to The valve and have somebody set this for water and push the paddle in, if you feel it vibrating or hear it buzzing it is getting power that means dispenser board is good, this is the chiller tank behind the crisper drawer in the refrigerator,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
and this is your water valve,

Register Here
I will be stepping out for a couple of hours in this will give you time to do the tests I recommend, when I get back I will check the your replies and if you need more info we will go over it again and see whatever else could be the problem, thanks, Bryan
Hey, Brian...I heard the refrigerator making noise this AM. I pressed water and got it. I tried crushed ice and got that, too. I have done nothing to the unit. Apparently, it was a spiritual healing! I guess you have to be careful what you wish for. Nice working with you.
Wow that's great news, it's possible that chiller tank I mentioned above was frozen in may have worked itself back to working order, sometimes is can freeze and then defrost and run again hopefully that was all it was but if you need more help just come back and reply and I'll be glad to help you further, it's been a pleasure working with you well wishes, and many thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician