Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Magic Chef Model No. MCBR1010W. The refrigerator is

Customer Question
not staying cool because the...
I have a Magic Chef Model No. MCBR1010W. The refrigerator is not staying cool because the coils keep developing ice in the freezer. I'm trying to find out what needs to be replaced. The fan is working fine.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/2/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

There are three major things that cause this, 1, the defrost thermostat 2, the defrost timer, 3 or the defrost heater, it's one of those three, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity? I can tell you how to test these parts if you do, the most common reason on yours however is a defrost thermostat,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
this is located snapped onto the evaporator coils behind the panel inside the freezer, the panel at the very back of the freezer inside behind your food, do you ever hear this refrigerator go completely silent around every eight hours or so for about 45 min. to an hour? If so the defrost timer is running, most likely it is the thermostat, let me know if you have a voltmeter, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I don't have a voltmeter, but I can purchase one if you show me where to test.
Okay, well the problem is with this is the diagrams don't really show it, I can tell you however that if you remove the food in the freezer section and remove the back panel inside the freezer this will be clipped to either the top or the side of the evaporator coils (silver coils) you can order [email protected] http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermostat/1206698?modelNumber=MCBR1010W and about 90% of the time this will take care your issue, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Just heard back from my tenant that the refrigerator is still not working correctly. I changed the defrost thermostat like we spoke about. I'm assuming that my only option now is to replace the appliance. Any additional suggestions?
Well the only a suggestion I have is if you tested the heater, and it was good in you replaced the defrost thermostat which is the most common reason for this I would say the timer is bad and not advancing into defrost, like I said there's only a few things in this that can cause this issue,
View Full Image
this part is around $37 if you want to take one more shot before replacing appliance, these are the three things the control a defrost, if the other two a good this has to be the issue, you can order this at, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/1206739?modelNumber=MCBR1010W if you wish, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
How do I test the heater?
you need to unplug the refrigerator and then take the back panel off again in the freezer unplug the heater and test it for continuity with a volt meter.
View Full Image
if it has no continuity its bad.
If the heater is good is there anything else I should check while I'm there?
not really, the timer has to be the issue, the timer is a clock that goes into defrost every 8 hours, it has to be bad.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician