Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Samsung washer WF448AAW/XAA. Technician replaced Silvercare

Customer Question
Samsung washer WF448AAW/XAA. Technician...
Samsung washer WF448AAW/XAA. Technician replaced Silvercare kit, but did not know how to reset LU0 code to read LU1. Numerous calls to Samsung technical support has not given me any helpful information. Can you tell me procedure to reset LU0 code to read LU1?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/26/2011
Appliance Technician: Justin, Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician

Justin :

That's a great question. Let me research this quick to see if I can help. Stand by.

Justin :

I don't believe I've ever seen a LU0 code. Is this listed anywhere in your manual or are you asking how to reprogram something? I'm on Samsung's tech site and I find nothing regarding this listed.

Justin :

I did find this mentioned in the manual. I see that when it is displaying LU0, this means the silver care is near the end of its useful life. When you pressed the buttons, did you do it while in standby mode (no lights lit) or after pressing power? Sometimes codes need reset in standby mode (no lights lit), other times you need to press the keys after it is powered up. Usually you won't press three keys simultaneously for a reset.... I'd have to contact Samsung on this to be sure because it's not listed anywhere it technical documents.

Customer:

I tried Delay Start, Signal, Power button in standby mode as well as Normal mode and off mode

Justin :

Ok, give me another moment

Justin :

I'm really trying to help.

Justin :

I've never seen anyone go through a silver care kit.. you use this feature a lot?

Customer:

It is only 1000 silvercare washes and the machine is 2 years old

Justin :

Per Samsung, silver care should last you 3,000 washes

Customer:

that's a different model washer, the WF448 is 1000, thus the LU0 code now displays

Justin :

I looked up your model.

Justin :

It says this:

Justin :

SilverCare™ technology

The secret behind SAMSUNG’s unique SilverCare technology is quadrillions of sanitizing silver ions that are released into the wash when the option is selected. Silver ions sanitize clothes in cold water when the consumer chooses to use this feature to wash garments they do not want to expose to bleach or hot water. Using Silver Care effectively removes 99 percent of odor-causing bacteria for up to 30 days. Perfect for delicates, colors and special care items, cold water washing also saves energy. The Silver Care feature has a life expediency of 3,000 loads which means if the feature is used as designed it will last the life time of the washer without needing replacement.

Remember, It is always good practice to provide customer education to reinforce the good choice the customer has made in selecting a Samsung Washer with the Silver Care Feature.

Justin :

your 448 model is listed.. The LU1 means less than 1,000 loads. LU0 just means you're over 1,000 loads

Justin :

In any case. I'll have to contact Samsung on this to make sure you got the right instruction

Customer:

Yes I know, that is why I had the Silvercare kit replaced. The problem is nobody knows how to reset the LU0 code to Lu1.

Justin :

I've never replaced a silver care package, therefore I've never had to reprogram. If you can bear with me a day or two, I can find the answer.

Customer:

ok.

Justin :

Ok.. I'm going to change this from live chat to Q and A. Once I find an answer, I'll email you.

Customer:

ok thanks.

Justin :

I'll do what I can.. Great question though. I work on appliances professionally and it's not often a customer stumps me on here lol

Justin :

So, here's what will happen. I'll email Samsung. Once I hear back, I'll post a reply and you should receive info that I've posted in your email.

Justin :

Do me a favor though

Justin :

Go to your washer. In standby ( no lights lit) Press and hold delay start and signal. THEN, press and hold power.

Justin :

So, you'll press those two prior to pressing power.

Customer:

I tried that already. Trust me.

Justin :

LOL.. ok

Justin :

Alright my friend. I'll change this to Q and A now. I'll get you an answer. Might take a few days, but we'll get it figured out. I'll have to write this down in my notes then.

Customer:

FYI. Each of the 5 techs that looked at washer, spoke to Samsung Tech support. They got no help.

Customer:

Thanks for trying. I hope you can get me help.

Justin :

I saw that. I shall try anyway.

Justin :

We'll figure it out. I'm not worried. I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
I will reply here. If I need more info, I'll use this Q and A mode to ask you. Check your email for my reply once a day. I'll let you know what I find. Do me a favor and post your full serial number here while I'm thinking about it. Thanks.
Hi Justin,
Serial# XXXXX
model# XXXXX

Just an FYI. I received a response from a Samsung tech who says, after much research, that the WF448 does NOT have a procedure to reset the LU0 code. The model WF419 does have a procedure to "reset" the machine's entire code history (which just happened to include LU0), but the WF448 does not. She advised that I simply estimate how long it took for the LU0 to appear, and replace the Silvercare kit in the future based on that time interval (assuming there is no change in the frequency of silvercare washes). I don't know if this is the final answer or not, but it does explain why everyone has been clueless regarding the LU0 code.

That's pretty much what I found as well. Sorry for the delay, but I was trying to investigate this deeply. What I did find was a procedure called an EEPROM reset. This procedure would be followed in the event the control board was replaced. While the EEPROM reset wouldn't affect any machine operation, I don't have the facts as to whether it would reset the LU code. I'm assuming it would, but I can't be certain. As previously stated, your machine silver care should last 3000 uses. Most people don't use this cycle unless there is a particular reason, such as heavily soiled clothes or for helping to destroy bacteria for sanitizing reasons. Per Samsung, when used properly, the Silver Care should last the entire life of the machine. I tried to research this as much as possible, but as I said, the only thing I think might work would be an EEPROM reset. I wouldn't say this is necessary for what is just a nuisance. Anything else I can do for you?
Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician