Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My MAYTAG M12568AES icemaker is frozen up. It will not dispense

ice and the removable front...
My MAYTAG M12568AES icemaker is frozen up. It will not dispense ice and the removable front cartridge is frozen in place. A couple days ago I noticed it was not dispensing ice and when I pulled out the tray it had frozen water filling the screw mechanism that kept it from turning. Now the front slide out cartridge will not come out at all. How should I proceed to troubleshoot this problem? I can't even get the thing open to see what's wrong.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2011
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Use the hair dryer to defrost everything. Sounds like you might have a leaking water inlet solinoid.

The Home Smithy :

To see if that is the problem turn the water back on with the full arm in the full position. If water still enters the ice maker then change the inlet solinoid. The inlet solinoid is what the water line connects to at the back of the unit. these are a common part and are available at any appliance parts store.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

OK using a hair dryer I was able to get the tray out f the icemaker. It is full of frozen water, with some cubes mixed in. It is impossible to turn it. I also used the hair dryer to get all the ice out of the ice maker compartment. I used the one/off switch to turn it off so it would stop doing this, and I also turned off the water feed at the wall. How should I proceed to determine what the problem is? Should I reassemble it and see if it works now>

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

'

The Home Smithy :

Just turn the water back on and see if it leaks into the freezer compartment from the ice cube fill spout.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

I've reassembled it and am waiting to see if it will try to make ice and spill more water, but it is taking it's sweet time getting around to do ing that. so it may be a while before I get back to you. Thanks for you help though, I think I'm on the right track, and at least I can get the tray out now.

The Home Smithy :

No problem. Take all the time you need.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

OK SO I reassembled the thing, turned the water back on, made sure it was tuned on and everything, and now it's been sitting for several hours and not making any ice at all. Any ideas?

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

Water comes out of the water dispenser, and the ice maker switch is turned on, it's just not making any ice.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

Anyway, I'll check back later and see if you guys pick this thread back up. Thanks for your help so far.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

Still not attempting to make any ice. Water still flows from the water dispenser, and the ice maker is "on" but it isn't doing anything.

JACUSTOMER-il44u2tx- :

This did not solve my problem, but I am going to select ACCEPT anyway.