Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Just bought a used Kenmore Elite King Size Quiet Pak 2 sm 9711174....used.

Customer Question
Just bought a used Kenmore...
Just bought a used Kenmore Elite King Size Quiet Pak 2 sm(NNN) NNN-NNNN...used. The washer will pump water out, but everything was soaking wet. I checked, and it's not spinning. I don't know if it actually "agitated" or not. Could something have happened when we carried it up the stairs on the dolly? Is this a common problem? Could I fix it myself?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/16/2011
Appliance Technician: gst85, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician

gst85 :

hi there

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

hello

gst85 :

hi ,so it will not spin or wash correct?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

it definitely "fills" but I didn't see it agitate. The load was huge, so I put it back on spin b/c the everything was still waterlogged. It drained, but didn't spin. Don't know if it actually washed

gst85 :

ok may i have the model number

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

the only visible number I saw was on the inside lid SM -(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

gst85 :

ok one minute please

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

if it helps....Kenmore Elite, Heavy Duty, King Size, Quiet Pak 2, Ultra Rinse System, 3 speed motor with 6 speed combos.....no idea what year...bought used.

gst85 :

sorry but i was not able to find any info with that model number .let me try anlther method

gst85 :

its a top leader correct?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

is there another place I should look?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

yes

gst85 :

underneath the lid should be a silver or white sticker

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

be right back

gst85 :

sure

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

didn't see anything on the washing machine, but the model number on the matching dryer is XXXXXXXXXX ...does that help?

gst85 :

no because it would be totally different .mo problem .i can still help you

gst85 :

lets try this set the timer on spin cycle, then tell me what you hear

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

the motor runs....fools you, because it sounds like it's spinning....rocks slightly, as if you feel something turning, but when you open the lid, it's obvious that the basket wasn't spinning

gst85 :

okay that clearly sounds like your motor couplings are broken !based on what you have just told me

gst85 :

give me a few minutes ,i will show you what im talking about

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

ok, while you're doing that, consider:

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

Can I do this myself? Do I need any special tools?

gst85 :

im sure you can .ill help you as much as possible

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

are you waiting on me, or are you getting info on the coupler repair?

gst85 :

im getting info lol

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

sweet

gst85 :

Motor Coupling - Part #1195967
Full Size Image
okay this is it!!

gst85 :

lets do this ,can you tilt the machine back

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

uhhhhh, hold on....just pull it out from the wall? Do I disconnect the hoses first?

gst85 :

are they short ones?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

not too short. how far back do I tilt it?

gst85 :

okay enough to look underneath ,and do you have a flashlight ?

gst85 :

1ft or so

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

no flashlight...just moved in today....I'll put that on the list...lol

gst85 :

lol good idea

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

I have pretty good light though

gst85 :

okay after you do .look between the motor and tranny ,locate the couplings

gst85 :

did you see the picture i posted for you?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

Ok, give me a minute....and some percocet for my back

gst85 :

lol no problem

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

ok, I see it...I think. The motor is in the front with all the copper wires running through it and the transmission is a grey metal casing? I saw the coupler....looks normal and intact

gst85 :

okay yes it would look normal ,feel around it ,mess with it it may feel loose

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

didn't really feel loose, but I could turn it. Is the rubber piece the part that's "grabbing" the transmission?

gst85 :

yes in between , the plastics .also wear out..do this is it still tilted ?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

no, I actually turned it on for a second to see if it would agitate....to be sure....it DOES agitate

gst85 :

set it on spin for a minute or so ,then go back under and look at it and listen

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

now letting it drain, to see if it kicks into spin

gst85 :

okay great

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

didn't start spinning. I lifted it up, and the coupler wasn't moving

gst85 :

did you hear the motor kick in

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

yeah, sounds very "normal" based on years of "hearing a washing machine"

gst85 :

okay since the coupling appears to be good ,it comes down to one thing .and that is going to be your transmission ;(

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

soooooo, that means? I got f**ked?

gst85 :

i hate to say .

gst85 :

do you have warranty

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

of course, I bought this off craigslist. any idea what action I should take?

gst85 :

well see the person who sold it to you knew that it was no longer working !!!

gst85 :

get your money back!!

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

I have a couple of numbers, but they delivered it to me....if I were to try and replace the transmission, what does that cost?

gst85 :

more than what the washer is worth !

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

could it be ANYTHING else in your experience?

gst85 :

lets try one more thing .can you set it on spin only?

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

sure

gst85 :

okay do that let me know what you hear

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

sounds like it's trying to spin

gst85 :

do you see the machine moving around lol

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

yeah, if I had to bet, I would say that it's spinning, but when you sneak up on it and open the door.....not a damn thing

gst85 :

i wanna say that one of the couplings are broken !

gst85 :

and not the tranny

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

so the coupling works for agitation, but not for spinning? is the coupler for both?

gst85 :

yes the couplers work at all times ,but if its not spinning or washing then 90% of the time that would be the issue

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

can the basket get "jarred" off a track or something? we bounced it on a dolly up 3 flights of stairs

gst85 :

no they are pretty stabled ,two things here either the couplings or tranny]

gst85 :

you should have a talk with the person that you got it from]

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

ok, do you have instructions for replacing the coupler? it requires taking the motor and tranny off I suppose? Any special tools or just basic screwdrivers and socket wrenches

gst85 :

yes basic tools such as screwdrivers .the motor has to brackets ,one on each side .with a screw on them ,then motor comes right off

gst85 :

would you like to know were to order it from

gst85 :

incase it turns out to be bad

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

sure, but can you also recommend a typical place that I might find it locally? Lowes, home depot, sears?

gst85 :

no none of those stores will carry it ,sears will have to order it,www.repair clinic.com they will ship overnight

gst85 :

one minute ill give you a part number

gst85 :

Motor Coupling

Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

gst85 :

good luck to you ,do you have anymore questions for me\

JACUSTOMER-ywj6jaom- :

nope, thanks.

gst85 :

pressing accept pays me

gst85 :

it was nice working with you

gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
gst85
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician