How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alan Your Own Question
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 273
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Alan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The upper dish rack in my Kitchen Aid Model # KDB-21 is damaged

Resolved Question:

The upper dish rack in my Kitchen Aid Model # XXXXX is damaged and needs to be replaced, but the company no longer makes replacement racks for that old model. What should I do (other than buying a whole new dishwasher)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
The more current part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNbut it is still no longer available. If your rack isn't too bad of shape you can purchase some dishwasher rack touch up paint. You then clean up as much rust as you can and paint this on. It hardens to a rubber like substance. It can be purchased at your local parts store.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm afraid I'm not satisfied, so please don't charge my credit card. You're not telling me anything I didn't know. I'm aware of the dish rack repair kits, which are good for covering up rusting tines but not much more. I can't repair the damage to the rusted slider with it. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.
Another alternative is replacing it with a good used one. I have posted a number for a business that salvages appliances and has hundreds of used racks. If you provide the part number and a picture, he will likely have one. He sells most for around $45 or so. Good Stuff(NNN) NNN-NNNN his name is Bill.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried calling Bill at Good Stuff. I told his wife what I needed and she said she would pass along the information and have him call me. That was yesterday afternoon. He never called back. Thanks anyway, but I'm not satisfied. I'm guessing you've already charged my card and would appreciate your refunding that charge. If you don't, I'll simply ask the credit card company not to pay you.
Expert:  Alan replied 6 years ago.

I have no control over the charging of your card, but will send a request to refund anything you have been charged. Unless you click the "Accept" tab, I have received nothing. As for the delay in responding to your call, sometimes it takes a day or two. He gets orders from all around the United States. Shall I send a request to have him remove you from his callback list?

Alan and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Alan,

You were right. Bill at Good Stuff just called and he has the part I was looking for. After I send this, I'll go back to this page and click the "Accept Answer" button. Thanks.

Bill Stewart