Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag Performa Dryer that isnt working model number

I have a Maytag Performa...
I have a Maytag Performa Dryer that isn't working model number PYE2300AYW. It stopped in the middle of a cycle the other day and there was a burnt smell to it. The burnt smell seemed to be of an electric aroma, but the heating element was still pretty warm when I discovered it had quit so it could have just been the lack of air movement. Anyway now it will do nothing. The buzzer won't sound when you try to start it in the off position and the heating element will not get warm either. I should also note that when it did die mid cycle the breaker for the plug was not tripped. I opened it up and checked to see if it had voltage at fuses for the heating element and the blower/tumbler motor and both had voltage. My meter isn't good enough to determine voltage in and out just that there was voltage in the wires around it. My guess is the motor burnt, but it isn't froze up because I can turn the blower and the drum will roll too. Any ideas?
1/4/2011
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. this is most likely a bad thermal fuse. this is found on the right side if the heating element about half way down. remove the two wires from the fuse and slide them together. Make sure that they are not touching anything but each other and start the dryer.

JACUSTOMER-w2r7qxpm- :

Thanks for the quick reply Shaun. However, that didn't get it done. What next?

S.E.Thomas :

you removed the 2 white wires from the fuse and connected them together?

S.E.Thomas :

please lket me know when you can be online so i can assist you

JACUSTOMER-w2r7qxpm- :

The fuse I could access was on top of the heating element and it had red wires running to it, and I did connect them together. I didn't grab them to check the current, but my voltage indicator lit up near the connection. I can be online for an extended period around 9:30

S.E.Thomas :

that is not the fuse

S.E.Thomas :

that is the high limit thermostat.

S.E.Thomas :

you must unplug the unit and remove the two wires from the thermal fuse. it is located on the right side of the element

S.E.Thomas :

You can then slide them onto each other. then plug the unit in and start the dryer,

S.E.Thomas :

this is a common problem when the dryer over heats

S.E.Thomas :

you will purchase this as a kit that will come with the fuse and the thermostat.

S.E.Thomas :

it can be found at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price.

JACUSTOMER-w2r7qxpm- :

ok so so I found the ones you were referring to and you were right the thing started right up.

S.E.Thomas :

you just need to replace the kit

JACUSTOMER-w2r7qxpm- :

thanks a ton I will be doing that.

S.E.Thomas :

part number and pricehere is the

S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Hey Thomas,
So I got the new fuses and installed them now the heating element isn't heating up. Could it be crossed wires, a bad element or some other issue? Let me know what you think thanks.
you may have crossed some wires. they should only reach where they belong though. do you have a volt meter?
I do have a volt meter. The only wires I disconnected for any period of time were on the high limit fuse and the thermal fuse.
the red are on the high limit and the white ton the fuse correct?
Yep
set your volt meter to read continuity. Remove the wires from the element and check it for continuity
I got 0 resistance from the heating element. I checked the high limit and thermal fuses as well with the same result.
are you using a digital meter? you should read infinity
it an analog metter so I just get ohms of resistance I assume
then the needle should peg all the way to the right
right and it does
then set the meter to check power and check the power to the dryer at the plug. it should be 220-240
voltage at the plug checked out okay too
re test the continuity of the fuse. make sure you got it in correctly and it did not short. i have seen this many times.
Okay all the fuses checked out fine. I even checked the one on the duct work, witch I assume is the themostat. However, the one on the duct work has 4 leads and the two large ones had no resistance, but the two smaller ones had measured resistance. Thoughts?
thats it then. the two large ones need to have full continuity just like the rest.
Allright I'll get one of those and give it another shot. Thanks again for all your help.
no problem. let me know what happens.
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician