Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The sensor/switch on the door of my whirlpool washer is not

starting the cycle or sometimes...
The sensor/switch on the door of my whirlpool washer is not starting the cycle or sometimes stopping in the middle of the cycle. A prior solution has been to lean on the door a little and it would start. However now it isn't responding. Opening the door and depressing the switch plate at the hole (female opening) still isn't working whereas before it used to work. What should I do next?
1/2/2011
rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician

rob clement :

Hi,is this a top load washer? It sounds like you just need to replace the lid switch

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Hello. Yes it is a top loader

rob clement :

I would bet the lid switch has broken apart and was taking more force to close

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Yes. Now we turn the dial to the rinse cycle and the time makes its noise, but then when it should normally start spinning and throwing the water out, it just stops.

rob clement :

It still agitates?just no spin or drain

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

We can start the load right now, but it dies when it's time to spin and release water

rob clement :

Do you have access to a test meter to check the lid switch?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

so now the hopper is full of water

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

I'm not an electrian, but I think I have a meter. Let me look. Hold on.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

My wife said it intermittantly keeps trying to start the spin cycle, but then dies. It just happened a couple of times.

rob clement :

But you were able to push down on the lid,and it would work.The way the washer works is when it get's to the drain and spin cycle,as a safety device it will not complete the cycle.It thinks the lid is open

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK,, then what should we do?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Replace the switch?

rob clement :

First,unplug the machine.you are going to need to open the console.There are 4 different ways to open the console,depending on the model

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK. The model is Whirlpool Imperial Series 8 cycle 2 speed motor Ultimate Care II

rob clement :

That is not a model number,but that's o k.Do you see 2 screws,1 each side in the front of the console on each side going into the top,or is there 2 screws in the back of the console

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

2 screws on the bottom of the right and left sides of the console..\

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

One on each side

rob clement :

Good,remove those screws,and grab the console and pull it forward and it will swivel open.Once there yo

rob clement :

you will see a connector with 3 wires

rob clement :

1 is green,that is the ground.we do not care about that one.the other 2 should have continuity with the lid closed.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

I'd like to send you a pic of what I'm looking at. I think I see it, but am not sure.

rob clement :

Not sure if you are able to post a pic.It is pretty straight forward.Just remove those screws,and open the console.Don't force anything

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

I opened the door. The connector that comes directly out of the washer to the console has 3 wires coming out of it. Looks like Orange, Green w yellow stripe and Gray.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

If that is it, then now what?

rob clement :

Check the orange and gray for continuity with the lid closed

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Should I unplug that connector?

rob clement :

It will not matter,it should have continuity either way

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

I'm going to my neighbors to get a meter. Hold on. Is that what I need?

rob clement :

Yes,just something to check continuity

rob clement :

Are you still there

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Yes,

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Haven't left yet

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Going now.

rob clement :

Good,I am going to close this chat session for now.You can still respond to me when you return

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

I'm back an need instruction on what I'm checking and how, I have the washer unplugged.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK You back?

rob clement :

Set the meter to ohms

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

@ x1 OHM

rob clement :

Sorry,I am not super fast at typing.check the orange and gray wires.what is the reading

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

With the unit unplugged ?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Meaning POWER?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Am I checking female side or male side of plug?

rob clement :

Yes,unplugged no power unless I tell you you plug in

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

ok old on

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

No reading. I placed nodes on both sides of the plug and got no reading

rob clement :

You have a bad lid swit

rob clement :

switch

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK Now what?

rob clement :

Can you get me the model number.Open the lid and the model number is XXXXX on the opening

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

There is 2 screws at the opening where the hole is for the MALE protrusion for the switch. Is that piece the switch?

rob clement :

Yes

rob clement :

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Where is the model number at?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Can't find number?

rob clement :

Should be at the back of the opening on a sticker

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

ok hold on

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Stock # XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

MODEL # XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

SERIAL # XXXXX

rob clement :

great,give me a few minuets to check on a part number

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Thanks

rob clement :

part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN is available here or at your local appliance store.You want to change it yourself?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Replacing is not that difficult?

rob clement :

Pretty easy

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK. How much is it?

rob clement :

It list's for $41 plus shipping at sears

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK. Can I order that from here?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Is the switch that I need to replace, the one attached with the 2 screws at the opening of the washer?

rob clement :

No,you need to click the link and it will take you to the website to order parts,or just go to your local appliance dealer.It is a stocked item most places

rob clement :

I can only tell you how to repair,and the procedure

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

rob clement :

Yes,it is that part.You will need to remove the cabinet,there is 2 brass colored clip on each side,a straight screwdriver will pop them off,remove the 2 screws you see,as well as the ground.then the cabinet will swivel towards you and remove the entire cabinet

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

What to do with the tub filled with water and clothes?

rob clement :

You could bypass the lid switch temporarily to drain it and spin it out.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

how??? it wont spin

rob clement :

Full Size Image

rob clement :

If you use a short insulated jumper wire an jump the orange and gray it should drain and spin

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

And if we don't have a short insulated jumper wire, then what?

rob clement :

the only thing you can do is replace the lid switch

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

So there is no way to drain the water?

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

"You will need to remove the cabinet,there is 2 brass colored clip on each side,a straight screwdriver will pop them off,remove the 2 screws you see,as well as the ground.then the cabinet will swivel towards you and remove the entire cabinet"

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Where are the brass clips?

rob clement :

Sorry,not sure how that re posted.

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

each side where, in back, inside,

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Where are the brass colored clips?

rob clement :

Unless you can bypass the switch,or replace it you will have to bail out the water.I wish I could just come over and fix it

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Thanks.... Just don't tell me that your texting me from India... LOL

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Where are the clips?

rob clement :

No,illinois

rob clement :

You have the console still open

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK I see them

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

Pull them up and out then I'll be able to pull forward the cabinet and get out the switch?

rob clement :

There are clips on each side of the top.Put the straight edge screwdriver in the slots an press back to remove the clips

rob clement :

and the console will come off.you will need to unplug the lid switch

JACUSTOMER-eklzjx3o- :

OK I'll try it.

rob clement :

once you have the cabinet off,it will be pretty straight forward to replace.If you need additional help.please ask

rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Please let me know if you have any problems
Rob
rob clement
rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician