Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Father and Mother own a KENMORE ELITE MODEL NUMBER 790.99113300.

My Father and Mother own a KENMORE ELITE MODEL NUMBER 790.99113300. This stove almost started a fire in the house while cooking the Holiday Turkey. Looking from the front of the Stove the left front burner would not shut off and continued to cycle from high glowing to over temp then back to high. I had to shut the main breaker off and it really ruined our holiday meal having no stove to finish cooking the meal. I've done some research online and this model number does not show up under the recall but is very close. Apparently the moisture from the oven gets up into the controls according to what I have read. My parents are elderly and really can't afford a new stove and I want to know if this is if this is a Legal issue as far as getting it repaired for free if the numbers do not match exactly and if the upgrade kit for repair can be sent to me so I can fix it for them for free or how expensive the repair kit is. Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Carmine Marciano
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You're exactly right, many of these units have been recalled because moisture goes in and shorts out the control board causing the controls to send power all the time to one of the burners. There isn't just "one kit". There are many and they are all specific to the different models. This is a part sole separately that you can just pick up at a parts store because it's under waranty. You'll need to call Sears parts and service to see if your model falls under the recall or not to get the kit replaced. If it's not, then you'll need to replace your burner switch for the front left burner because that moisture issue has nothing to do with your model and the burner control switch has just failed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Burner switch? is this a mechanical switch/thermal couple? The switch on the rear of the stove?
yes. It's the switch on the rear of the stove behind the knob that you actually turn to turn the burner on and off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is not Knob. The stove is all touch control.
ok well then the control board would be the part faulty on this model. Whether it be from the moisture or just bad luck (my guess would be moisture since a lot of these touch control units are known for that problem from Frigidaire), but either way, that's why you need to call Sears to see if it's part of the recall or not.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok Thanks for the information on the recall/control board. Is there a specific control board or only one for all the elements.

If the unit is not on the recall, then you'd want to order the burner control board. There is just one control board for all the stovetop burners. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Excellent Thank you for the Help.

Carmine

no problem and good luck to you.