The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Well Water and RO System. We have purchased a new home that

Well Water and RO System. We have purchased a new home that is on well water. The water is very hard and tastes salty - to the point you don't want to drink it. There is a good, new Whirlpool RO under the sink but rather than directing the water to a separate RO-only faucet spigot the (blue) line feeds back under the cabinets and is somehow blended back into the main faucet output. Therefore the water still tastes salty - no noticeable difference between the "RO water" and the outside "well water." I thought all RO systems went to a separate spigot. Should I drill a hole in the sink, install a separate faucet for the RO and re-route the RO outlet line to the new spigot? I have replaced the pre-filter, RO membrane, and post-filter and the water is still salty tasting.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Is there a water softener system installed in the home?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, there is not a water softener.

Ok I will need the model number of the RO system. It will be on the manufacturers lable.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not there at present but am pretty sure it is the Whirlpool WHER255, three filter system. The final blue output hose attaches to a brass line that goes under the cabinet rather than to an ro faucet

Ok it appears that this system is supposed to have a separate faucet. If yours does not then that is the problem. Someone has jury rigged it to go through the regulat faucet. This of course does no good at all as it mixes with the regular water from the homes supply. Installing a separate faucet will resolve the problem.

Unfortunatly I am unable to locate just the faucet. Whirlpool tech site doesnt even list this as one of their products.

The best suggestion I can offer is to check with your local plumbing supplier for one.

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.