RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  TECHNICIAN AND TEACHER
19031375

Need help with Emerson microwave troubleshooting.

Emerson microwave model no. MW8119SBM suddenly stopped heating as I was heating water for tea. The countdown timer kept on working until it hit zero seconds. What is the problem?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 6 years ago.

Hi, this is Russ, I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are only a few parts for this unit available. None that will cause this problem. It is possible that there is a blown fuse or thermal fuse that will interchange, but this requires a volt ohm meter to diagnose after removing the cabinet. Also if you take it for service labor rates are in the $80- and hour range now and given the cost of new microwaves repair is not a good deal.

JACUSTOMER-k931bdc1- : Russ I have a volt ohm meter-what can I do myself
to fix the problem? Like I said the parts available are only door parts,so even if the suspected part is located,getting one will be difficult. I suspect the thermal fuse on the magnatron.....it s dime size and maybe 1/4 in thickness with only 2 wires.
RUSS : REMOVE CABINET AFTER UNPLUGGING AND THE MAGNATRON IS FIST SIZE SILVER IN COLOR WITH COOLING FINS. BE VERY CAREFUL THE CAPACITOR STORES 50k VOLTS AND WILL IF YOU CONTACT IT KNOCK THE ______ OUT OF YOU. IF YOU HAVE HEART PROBLEMS AND
YOU DO THIS YOU MAY HAVE CARDIAC ARREST
JACUSTOMER-k931bdc1- : So my only option is to replace the microwave?
RUSS : If you are not comfortable doing the above,I am afraid so....the steps outlined are the only things available as a cure and what is done in the shop.