The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.
12112589

I have a GE GBVH6260 washer that is about 4 1/2 years old.

Customer Question

I have a GE GBVH6260 washer that is about 4 1/2 years old. The last few loads, after the spin cycle when the door is opened, there is smoke and a burnt rubber smell coming from inside the drum.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 6 years ago.

Forry :

Has the door seal rubber swelled out of shape and rubbing against the drum. Any bits in washing.?

JACUSTOMER-uzb82j20- :

Yes, there are very tiny bits of rubber inside the crease of the door seal

Forry :

Maybe this is the burn smell you are getting . I have had this before and found it to be the rubber seal hitting the drum as it turned and causing these bits and the smell of burnt rubber. Another more serious problem is if the heater element is coming on during the spin cycle. This should not happen but if pressure switch blocks it can cause this and is a fire hazzard. You can usually see the element glowing red when the machine is on a fast spinif you look closely into the drum. Having said that your discovery of the rubber bits in the door creases make me think it is the more likely problem. If so then you may need to change the door seal gasket. David.