Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Why is my Whirlpool Duet washer leaking water?

My whirlpool duet washer is leaking profusely. The water leaks from the drum and exits the bottom of the washer. I know it is the water in the drum that is leaking (not the door seal) because I poured water in the drum away from the door and it all ran out the bottom. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 6 years ago.

Tim Alan :

If it's pouring out, it's probably coming from the drain hose or pump under the unit. That front panel on the bottom comes off, it's held on by 3 #15 or #20 torque screws. The only way to truly tell exactly were that leak is coming from, is a visual inspection.

Customer :

I have the panel off. The water is running from behind the front flange of the drum along the exterior bottom of the drum, then runs to the floor. Cannot see leak point with mirror or feel it with my hand. Very tight area from which the leak stream comes. Had F20 code as well.

Tim Alan :

Are you sure the door boot didn't come loose?

Customer :

No. How do I tell. I can't even figure out how it seals normally. Wouldn't the water level have to be up to the door level for that to be the problem? When empty, water in the bottom of the drum leaks out the bottom of the washer.

Tim Alan :

You said the leak was coming from the front. Is it the front or the back that is leaking?

Customer :

No. It is coming from underneath the washer toward the front.

Tim Alan :

Open the washer door, push the drum back and check the door boot to make sure it is still attached to the outer tub. Also underneath the unit reach up and feel for the door boot and a loose band.

Customer :

The seal moves with the drum. No separation apparent.

Tim Alan :

You poured water in the top not the dispenser right?

Customer :

In the drum. At the bottom. Not near the door. Imagine opening the washer, sticking your arm to the middle and dumping a glass of water. It all runs out the bottom.

Tim Alan :

And you can't see where it is dripping from? Not the tub, not the drain hose, not the pump, just see it dripping down from the front panel

Customer :

There is a huge honking concrete weight at the bottom front of the drum on the underside. The weight has a recess where there is a through bolt. The water runs along the bottom of the drum then through the recess and drips down. None of the leaking occurs on the front side of the weight. It all comes from the back side.

Tim Alan :

Then it's coming from the door boot. I know it's tight and hard to see, it would have been easier for me to have you take the door boot off in the front but the spring is extremely hard to reinstall and 99 out of 100 people cannot do it. The boot either has a hole in it or the inside band came loose. They are extremely difficult to reinstall and should be done by a technician. I doubt it's the actual tub that is leaking. You would have the one in a million that did spring a leak. Did you need anything else?

Customer :

No. Thanks for the help.