Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a General Electric JBP45G*R1 Electric Range and the…

Customer Question
I have a General Electric...
I have a General Electric JBP45G*R1 Electric Range and the oven won't heat. Solenoid was stuck. Elements are OK. Is the stuck solenoid the culprit?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What solenoid are you talking about exactly that is stuck?
It is the solenoid that I think is a part of the self cleaning feature. There are 2 microrelays that are also associated with the self cleaning mechanism. One microswitch I think gets activated by the solenoid which is at the back of the stove on the end of the self cleaning mechanical assembly which runs from the front of the stove (lever) to the back of the stove. The other microrelay is positioned in the middle of the mechanical assembly.
ok so the solenoid you're talking about is for the latch assembly part. You will need to replace the solenoid to get your oven to heat again because if your oven is confused and thinks that your door is locked when it's not, it will not heat.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

OK, I revived the old solenoid assembly by freeing the plunger and will try it in a few days as the stove is at our hunting camp. I'm going to Accept the answer so you'll get paid, but hope it is OK to chat with you further about the problem if the revived solenoid doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks,

sam

of course, just post back if you have any more questions. (Edited by Moderator)

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 12/10/2010 at 12:51 AM EST
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

The repaired solenoid works, but the oven doesn't. Appears the microrelay with 3 wires that sits just a little ways in from the solenoid never engages any of the metal parts of the latch assembly for some reason. Assume it should when the latch lever is moved to lock the door. When you try to use the oven and set the time and then the temp, the bake light in the display flashes, then says ON for about 10 seconds, and then the little display goes out. None of the relays on the circuit board ever get energized as I've had the protective covers off. Any suggestions? How about bypassing the oven cleaning feature?

Thanks,

sam

Not sure you got this follow-up question.

Thanks,

sam

I'm really not sure what to say without actually being there and seeing it. My guess is that the lock lever itself may be bent so it's not touching the switches and activating them correctly now? Maybe try replacing the actual metal latch assembly?

Can you provide a diagram showing the status of the microswitches when the stove is not in the cleaning modem i.e., which contacts are open and which are closed on the microswitches on the cleaning latch assembly?

Also, can the cleaning mode sensors be bypassed to get the oven to come on?

Won't be able to work on the stove for about five days so any schematics I could look at would be helpful.

Thanks,

sam

Will be back to work on the stove today (8 Dec) so any schematics, including the state of the switches for the bake mode, I could look at would be helpful.

Thanks,

sam

unfortunately I don't have that information. The unit is too old to have digital records for the schematic.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc