Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The piece of plastic that one pushes to dispense ice has apparently

Customer Question
broken - this happened a...
The piece of plastic that one pushes to dispense ice has apparently broken - this happened a few days ago and now there is uncontrolled release of water and ice from the front panel. We have it under control only by shutting off water. What choices do we have now? Replace the panel? Replace the entire door? Something else? Thanks!

The auger inside the ice storage unit also seems to come on on its own.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2010
Appliance Technician: Chas, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Thank you for using JustAnswer's for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

The complete model number can be found inside the fridge area on the wall.

The model number on Kenmore or Sears products consist of 11 digits usually, the first 3 digits tell us who made it for them and the remainder is the model number, please send the model number in the following format: 123.45678901, this will allow Just Answer to display the number and not think it is a phone number and X it out like this XXXXXXXXXX,

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Kenmore Elite - side by side refrigerator
Panel on the left with ice, crushed ice and water dispenser

inside the fridge --
there is a model number - 253.44519604
there is a serial number - 4A71919650
there is a number at the back of the fridge that reads -(NNN) NNN-NNNN
there is a label that says made in mexico

hope this is sufficient to move forward
The water and the ice keep coming out? What were you trying to dispense when this happened?
After the piece of plastic broke we did not use the Water Dispenser. We used the ice dispenser. This was ok for two days. Then - yesterday, during the day, the Dispenser started acting on its own. First, it dispensed a lot of ice on its own. We had it on crush, so, it kept trying to dispense ice. It filled up the inside cavity. We emptied it. Then, it started to dispense water - and kept doing it on its own. Nobody was around the fridge. We finally shut off the water to the fridge. When we saw this happening, it appeared that the dispensing was happening based on some circuits getting activated on their own. So, a short answer to your question: what were we trying to dispense when this happened? Nothing!
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is it part # XXXXX A that broke ?

Yes, the picture you send is the panel that is at the front of the fridge. That is what is broken. I have wondered if we will need to replace this entire assembly or a part of it. It is possible that there is a short somewhere in there that is causing it to behave erratically such as dispensing ice and water even if there is nothing pressed.
well whats probably wrong is the micro switches maybe sticking # XXXXX on the diagram,these can be a real pain to work on, the problem could also be the disperser board itself but thats unlikely since its the other part 24a is what broke, I would replace that and see if the issue is solved. heres a link to all the parts and diagrams, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-25344519604/0583/0165000?pathTaken= hope this helps, thanks Bryan
From the diagram, it looks like Part 24 is the pieces that - when depressed - dispenses water. And 24A is for ice. It was part 24 that broke. However, what happened "afterwards" in terms of uncontrolled dispensing that is the concern. Do you believe that replacing Parts 24 and/or 24A will solve the problem? Thanks for the link you have provided. That will help quite a bit. It also looks like this is not something that a layman (such as me) would be able to do. True? Does it make sense to replace the entire Panel instead of just that part? If it comes assembled, it may be better to do that to resolve the problem I am noticing. True? From my side, knowing this would help me close out this session and move to accepting the answer.

well unfortunately these don't come all assembled you need to replace it piece by piece, you wont need it all though. the part that controls the dispensing is the micro switches. there may be one jammed. its really hard for me to know, i doubt however the dispenser control is bad. you need to pull it apart and check the switches. go from there. hope this helps. thanks Bryan

micro switch.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks for that answer. I appreciate the help.
no problem , well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician