Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Laundry Dryer that is frequently overheating

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Laundry Dryer that is frequently overheating and causing both the "thermal fuse" and "thermistor" to fail. The dryer was purchased by me in October 2000 as part of a set; "Ultimate Care II" with all kinds of operational features. It worked for about five years without difficulty, then began to overheat as noted above. The incidents began to occur more frequently within the past two years. "Professional" appliance service technicians have checked the machine three different times and replaced both the thermal fuse and thermistor. Because the failures have usually occurred at night or weekends we have had to do without the dryer for extended periods, and I have undertaken to replace the parts when needed to return it to operation. We use the dryer only on "low heat" or "air only" settings, and frequently it overheats anyway. The dryer exhaust passage isonly about 15" long, 4" dia through the wall vent, and it's kept open by regular brushing. When the dryer has been "serviced" it is carefully checked and vacuumed throughout the cabinet enclosure. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this could be the motor thats overheating and causing the thermal fuse to blow also, the longer this runs, (on low heat or air dry) the hotter the motor gets and can blow the fuse, the motor has an overload in it but a lot of times the thermal fuse will blow first. i this is blowing the thermal fuse on air dry its not the heater overheating .

I think that is the problem, something to look at. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not "stiffing you" but I will need awhile to both evaluate and test the answer you've furnished.

All this is "complicated" by serious health issues here with very sick wife and my several handicaps.

I will get back to you ASAP. We're off to a doctor momentarily and that will take all morning. Thanks for your understandingand patience. Phil Lucy.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sure take you time don't worry, this motor may be drawing to many amps once it heats up, this will blow the thermal fuse. the thermal fuse is not just for the heater its for anything that overheats or shorts out in the dryer, talk again, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just "crazy" situation/circumstances right now, and not nearly enough sleep to keep brain clear. I plan to "yank" motor and determine if it has discernible faults. I think you put me on the right track and you deserve your payment. Thanks. XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your welcome Phil. I don't know of any other reason this is happening, you seemed to have covered all the other bases in this. come back and let me know what happens and I'll be glad to help further, (at no cost to you) just leave this question open. thanks Bryan