Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Monogram Ice Maker (ZDIS15CSSH). It barely produces

I have a GE Monogram...
I have a GE Monogram Ice Maker (ZDIS15CSSH). It barely produces any ice and after a week or so, it stops producing any ice. I have had a tech out and he replaced the control board (and something else). There has been no improvement.

He did suggest changing the thermometer but I don't have a lot confidence in his suggestions.

Any ideas?
11/1/2010
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. There are several things that COULD cause your poor ice production, but let's look at the most likely. First and foremost, is the condenser clean? A dirty condenser causes poor heat dissipation and therefore poor ice production. Is the condenser fan running? Next, and just as important, is the inside of the icemaker clean? Is the evaporator and water distribution parts free of scale and buildup? Scale buildup will cause the unit to produce poor results as well. Let me know the answers to the above questions. Also, I have sent you a link to the complete service manual for your icemaker so you can go through the flow charts and see if you can narrow down your potential culprit causing your poor ice production.

http://rapidshare.com/files/428234288/31-9030_1_.pdf

Thanks for information

The condenser is clean and the condenser fan does indeed run. The inside of the icemaker is clean. The service guy did a de-scale a couple of months ago so there shouldn't be scale build up. I did another cleaning yesterday and it still only produces about a scoop of ice after running all night.

One other thing to note - the water pump chugs for long periods of time, like it is trying to suck up the last bit of water in the Reservoir Pan but can't get that last bit. If I drain the Reservoir Pan it stops chugging.

OKay, it sounds like the water level is not right. The reservoir should be nearly full when the pump is running. Is it?

The water level is NOT near the top of the water reservoir (most of the time). When the reservoir is near the top, it produces ice - when it isn't I get very thin ice or no ice at all.

Okay, I suspect the water inlet valve may be faulty. How is the water quality in your area? Is there alot of minerals or is the water pretty hard?
Kelly, Appliance Technician

I live in Denver so the water is pretty hard. Scaling is definitely an issue.

I will try to find a local supplier tomorrow and replace the valve and either way let you know how I make out.

Thanks.

Sounds good, thanks.

I have replaced the valve and am going to let it run for 24 hours to see how we do.

I will let you know.

Thanks

Sounds good, keep me posted!

AWESOME! I am glad to hear of your success! Great job and thank you for the accept! Take care....

Kelly, Appliance Technician