How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelly Your Own Question
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 22877
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Kelly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an apt stovetop that one burner is not working on.

Resolved Question:

I have an apt stovetop that one burner is not working on. IT is a GE model JBP66SOK155 and the Serial Number is XXXXX Any suggestions on what might be wrong if one burner is only heating up on one half of the burner and what we can do to fix it. Is there a part we can purchase and fix it ourselves?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using I have never seen a ribbon element heat only on one side, therefore I am assuming you mean the dual RF element is only heating on the inside or the outside, but not the entire element. Most of the time the infinite switch is to blame, but to positively identify the problem you will need a meter to test for voltage and/or continuity. Which burner is not working correctly?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is the front right burner that is not heating and I was mistaken, it isn't just one half it is the whole burner, but it seems there is a little power going to it, maybe 50% of the others. The others burners immediately turn Red when you turn them on, but this one doesn't seem to light up nearly as much and isn't putting the same kind of heat.


Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.
So if it gets warm, it sounds like there is not proper voltage going to the burner. I suspect you may have a switch problem, but do you have a meter to test voltages to verify?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No we do not have one. Is that something we can get? Any suggestions on where? If the voltage is low (what is considered norm) is the switch a part we can order somewhere and install easily or is this something I should be calling a GE repair person to come do. What will indicate that it is a bad switch?


Expert:  Kelly replied 6 years ago.

You can buy a meter, but if you replace the switch you will likely fix the problem. The switch is only $24.99 from, part number WB24T10058. If it were me, I would replace the switch and save the money you will spend on a meter, which will run about $25-50. But, it is up to you. I am happy to walk you through the testing procedure if you desire.


This switch is easily accessed and replaced so I am confident that it is something you can do yourself. The back panel is removed and the new switch installed. If you do one wire at a time you will not have any problem replacing it.

Kelly and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you