Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a Cabrio washer. The lid lock light is on and I can

Customer Question

I have a Cabrio washer. The "lid lock" light is on and I can not open the lid of my washer. this happened at the end of a wash cycle. model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX
Washer was purchased 8/21/10. I have unplugged washer--no change. I have pushed the START (pause) button--no change.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
Hello. I will helping you with you question to day. Lets enter this into diagnostic mode to see if there is a code stored. Press the water temp for four seconds, then release it for four seconds. Press it again for 4 seconds, release it for 4 seconds and press it again. All the lights should turn on. Then in the display it will display an fXX error.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tried this. no change. All the lights already came on before I did this. I'm not sure what you mean by display. Where will I find the display??

The display is the part that shows the time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have a display that shows time.
Expert:  J1204 replied 6 years ago.
Hi i can try and help, when you unplugged the machine and plugged it back in did the display still say DL?
This is still under warranty. Call whirlpool and they will fix it for free.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't feel that these experts knew very much about my washer. If they did, they would have known that my machine does not have a display that shows time or messages. I was really hoping that with your help I could do something to unlock the lid so that I could get my clothes out. I know that the machine is still under warranty and that they could fix it but I was hoping not to have to take a day off work. Thanks for your suggestions--apparently none applied to my machine.
If the washer will go into diagnostics it will unlock the door.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what will make the "washer go into diagnostics"?? There is no display on this machine--only the lights that indicate your choices for various options.

press any of the option buttons for 4 seconds and release for 4 seconds. Repeat this 3 times.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
doesn't work. I will call for a service call. Thanks for your help but the lid is still locked, my clothes are still inside.
You can lift the whole top panel by press in the tabs in the crack between the top panel and the front. The tabs are about 6 inches in from the sides.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if I do this, how will this effect the lid lock?? will it release? will I be able to use my machine again or will I need to call for service so that the machine can be used again??

This will only allow you to get your close out. it sounds like you have a bad lid lock and it needs to be replaced.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years