Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Whirlpool washer keeps filling with water

10/24/2010
J1204
J1204, Home Appliance Technician

J1204 :

Hi I'll be helping you with your question today, so you said the pressure switch and pressure switch hose both checked ok?

Customer :

Yes I can manually trip the switch and the machine starts a regular wash cycle. I've pressurized the hose and put it under water and didn't see a leak

J1204 :

I have seen before where the pressure hose will stretch a little bit and not fit as tight as it should onto the nipple on the air dome on the side of the tub, or the pressure switch, what i normally do is cut just about 3/8 inch of the hose off and reconnect it, it should fit more tightly

J1204 :

Also is there any buildup inside the tub, there could be something blocking the airdome that the hose connects to

Customer :

I've tried that on both ends of the hose. I,ve been told that water should not enter the hose but it does on mine. Iv'e tried to seal around the cup and nipple with plumbers goop. seems like an air leak but i cant find it.

J1204 :

Normally if there was a crack or anything in the airdome or tub, you would notice water leaking, when you said you manually tripped the pressure switch, how did you do that, did you blow into the hose until the switch closed, or use a jumper wire or something

Customer :

I blew into the switch itself without the hose. I don't see any water leak even if i leave it full overnight.

J1204 :

To me it sounds like theres something with that hose, a blockage or even the slightest little pinhole will cause it not to build enough pressure, it seems like its just not building enough pressure to close the diagphram in that switch, also if you disconnect the pressure hose while there is water in the tub, you will have to drain that and start over or it will just keep filling

Customer :

Yes. A bubble should form in the air dome then? I've been dicking around with this thing for three weeks it's getting kinda frustrating.

J1204 :

I'll bet, yeah there should be a pocket of air in the top of the air dome even when the machine is totally full, if your getting water into your pressure hose and theres no air in that airdome there is something between that airdome and the press. switch thats leaking air. If it were me I would try replacing that hose, its normally only a couple bucks, it comes longer than needed, just make sure to cut it to the same length as the original

Customer :

Okay I'll try that. One more question about how the air pocket is formed. Is the air dome mounted to the tub off center so that a pocket of air is formed at the top? If the water fills evenly into the air dome I don't understand how the pocket of air is formed.

J1204 :

there is only a small hole inside the tub that lets water into the dome, and that hole is in the center of the dome, so it lets water in, but as the water rises to that hole, the water inside the tub is at the same level, once the water in the tub passes the hole, the air is trapped inside the dome, as the water continues to fill, it creates more pressure on that air pocket, and thats what closes your pressure switch

J1204 :

I would probably go ahead and replace the switch as well if your going to do the hose, they are normally relatively inexpensive, I normally do both if I have to replace one, just to be on the safe side

Customer :

I have the aggitator out right now and on this machine the hole in the tub is very close to the size of the air dome hole

J1204 :

The hole for the airdome should be in the side of the tub where the airdome actually is, it's probably about 1/4 inch hole, you cant really see it unless you have the basket out of the machine,

Customer :

I"ve got the basket out now and the hole in the tub side is about 2" dia. I bought this machine from my sister in-law and it's been stored outside for at least a year but she said it worked for her

J1204 :

So thats about the same as the actual airdome, that hole should only be about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 in. with the hole that bigthat airdome is just going to fill up with water, there wont be an airpocket to build pressure, so its just gonna keep filling

Customer :

That is exactly what happens. Is the hole in the tub just cut to a smaller dia. or is there some sort of insert that is maybe missing?

J1204 :

no its just a small hole in the tub, the tub is all 1 piece, how the hole got that big I cant say but thats definitely too big, the only way really to repair that would be a new tub(not as expensive as youd think, its just a piece of plastic) but that definitely sounds like thats the cause of your problem

Customer :

Yeah I think we're on to something. Unless you've got any other ideas I'll let ya go. Is there a site you know of that can sell me a new tub?

J1204 :

Nope I think that should fix ya up there, as far as websites for parts, you can try searspartsdirect.com and at least get the part number, once you got the part number you can just google it and youll have plenty of options if you wanted to try and get the best price for one, I would also spend the extra 5 bucks and get a new seal too, reusing the old one always leads to tearing it apart again to put in a new one anyway

Customer :

Okay, dude I think my sister in-law lied to me and i've only called her a fat cow once or twice. seriously she's a behemouth one pair of her granny panties probably did the damage. Thanks pal have a good one.

J1204 :

haha...nice, not a problem bud, you have a good night

J1204
J1204, Home Appliance Technician
J1204
J1204
J1204, Home Appliance Technician