Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Frigidaire Model # FDB4315LFC2 This is a dishwasher and has

Customer Question
Frigidaire Model # XXXXX This is...
Frigidaire Model # XXXXX
This is a dishwasher and has suddenly stopped working. It is 2 years old and now there's some stagnant water inside the appliance that has now begun to stink. How do I get it to start working. A glass has broken inside the dishwasher a few days ago which has been cleaned but the dishwasher didn't work after that. Thanks for your prompt response.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/17/2010
Appliance Technician: Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Repairman1981 :

When you say stopped working, can you be more specific, is it not powering on, not doing anything once you start a cycle or what?

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

The power is on. I can press a button and it shows the button lit up. However, it doesn't start working and shows the timer counting down

Repairman1981 :

If it shows the timer counting down and nothing is happening you have a bad wash motor, can you press cancel and hear it try to drain at all. Also do you hear any buzzing?

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

No, I do not hear any buzzing. How do I drain it? That's the first thing I would like to do as it smells awful.

Repairman1981 :

press the cancel button if there is one (sometimes it's the same as start with frigidaire) and it should start .... no way both motors went bad you should hear either wash or drain buzz at least even if both are clogged

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Give me two minutes and I'll be back to report

Repairman1981 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I pressed the Speed Clean button and pressed Start. It showed 46 minutes. No sound came out.

Repairman1981 :

did you let it set a bit. It will try to fill to start with about 2 mins, since it's full it won't make noise till it starts to wash

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I can wait for a couple of minutes and report back. Let me go see the timer and when it reaches 42 minutes, I will inform you.

Repairman1981 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Okay, I hear some buzzing now but no water draining out sound

Repairman1981 :

ok press the cancel button or start button to stop the cycle

Repairman1981 :

It should start to drain immediately and usually switch to cl on the display

Repairman1981 :

The buzzing means the circ pump is locked up or possibly has glass in it.

Repairman1981 :

since you did just break a glass in i5t

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Done

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

The water is still not draining

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

The display is blank

Repairman1981 :

You likely have glass in your drain pump and circ pump. Do you hear any buzzing when you canceled the cycle?

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

No

Repairman1981 :

give me a sec

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Ok

Repairman1981 :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

The buzzing had stopped when I went back to cancel it

Repairman1981 :

This is the pump area, you need to take it apart and look for glass in the pump (circ for sure) and likely in the drain pump as well

Repairman1981 :

The circ pump is the bigger of the 2 on the picture

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

No. 70 in the picture?

Repairman1981 :

the circ pump

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Is there a number to it in the picture?

Repairman1981 :

number 70 is the circ pump

Repairman1981 :

You can actually remove it really easy but not with all that water in it

Repairman1981 :

Unless you fully uninstall and lay on it's back

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Ok, so how do I do it?

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Do I have the need to call a repairman?

Repairman1981 :

you don't need to remove it yet

Repairman1981 :

You need to take the filter and screen and all the spray arm out to check down in the sump for glass

Repairman1981 :

Be careful underwater glass cuts you QUICK

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I have checked the sump. There seems to be no glass in the sump or the filter. It has all been removed.

Repairman1981 :

what about back towards the circ pump

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

That I haven't checked. How should I check that?

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Give me a minute. Let me check one more time.

Repairman1981 :

reach back in towards it, if your in the lower sump area you can stick your finger in to the front of the pump, if you aren't down to there then you need to take more apart

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I was able to reach down to it and found three small pieces of glass which I have removed. I started the diswasher again and after a couple of minutes, the pump came on and seems to be working. The water still has not drained yet. I've put it on rinse and the complete cycle for that was 19 minutes.

Repairman1981 :

well let it finish and see if it drains if it doesn't try cleaning the drain pump and replace if necessary

Repairman1981 :

If it's all clean you have a bad drain pump

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I stopped the rinse in the middle by pressing Cancel hoping that it would drain the water out. It stopped and the screen went blank and did not pump the water out. I then repressed the Rinse button and am now waiting to see if it comes back on. Sorry for taking action without your guidance.

Repairman1981 :

it's no poblem, honestly the cancel should drain it, might try pressing cancel 2x to see if neither works run a rinse

Repairman1981 :

If it doesn't drain at the rinse you need to remove and test the pump with an ohm meter and probably replace

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I'm letting it complete the Rinse cycle and see if it drains after that. I shall be back as soon as the Rinse cycle is complete. Please stay on line. Thanks.

Repairman1981 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Okay, the Rinse cycle finished, however, the water didn't drain out.

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

If it requires a pump replacement, then I guess I need to call in a repairman to do the job.

Repairman1981 :

you can probably do it. It's not that hard

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I don't have that kind of confidence in my ability. But do you seriously think that the pump is not working. The sound that came while the machine was running indicated that the circulating pump was operating fine.

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

Are you there?

Repairman1981 :

If you decide not to proceed please remember to click accept and leave feedback so I get credit for helping you, if you do want to proceed just ask and I can give you the part number to order. Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-3iew7osf- :

I need help to replace my pump. It is evident from converstion with you that the pump in my machine is bad and needs to be replaced. Is it possible for you to send a repairman to fix it?

Repairman1981 :

I'm not able to since I'm in nashville, tennessee. We are all independent servicers. If you want to post your location for me (not full address just city/state) I can probably recommend someone unless your in a remote/rural area. Thanks!

Repairman1981
Repairman1981