Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore microwave model

I have a Kenmore microwave model
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

which motor are you trying to replace?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The turntable motor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is a counter top model? or over the range?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a counter top model.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , the diagrams show the bottom as one piece,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
the cover would need to come off the and then the bottom I believe, do you have the case off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, It's not apart yet. I looked at that diagram, too. That rectangular area in the center with the round holes is actually a stamped depression, and is die cut all the way around except for eight very small metal bridges of metal that connect eight pairs of 1/8" holes, 2 pairs on each edge. There are also 2 tabs on one edge, and one tab with a hole on the opposite edge. There are two stamped u shaped slots in the bottom panel, exactly spaced and sized to hold the two tabs that are part of the center piece.

It appears as though the little metal bridges were designed to be cut to remove the panel to replace the motor, and then the panel could be turned around and the tabs placed in the slots. The third tab with the hole would then line up with a hole in the bottom plate, and secured with a sheet metal screw.

There is stamped lettering on the bottom that says: "caution remove sharp edges after cover removal"

Bryan, can you confirm that I am correct, for sure?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hasn't anybody repaired a kenmore microwave?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you are correct. this is a stupid way to design these though, the diagrams don't really show that, I'm not there so couldn't see it, I have repaired many microwaves over the years and never run into that, theres always a cover thats screwed on , I believe they did that so the customer wouldn't attempt repair, not really sure to be honest, wont hurt to do it the way you described. thanks, Bryan