John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a topload GE washing machine (WBSE 2090 AOWW). The machine

Customer Question

I have a topload GE washing machine (WBSE 2090 AOWW). The machine does everything that it should except the spin cycle. The spin cycle starts as it should, and typically runs about 10-15 seconds, almost coming up to full speed. Then it abruptly stops, with the transmission break engaging. Occasionally it will run a complete spin cycle with an empty & dry machine, but typically it performs as previously mentioned. This happens even in test mode. Lid switch is good, water level switch seems good, motor, clutch and transmission act fine. No odd noises or smells. In test mode the machine shows no faults, and the issue persists after resetting.

Is my machine tripping an internal overload sensor? Perhaps a load balancing switch has gone bad? Has anyone seen this before?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

When the tub starts to spin is there still much water left in the tub please.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, no water in the tub. It drains/pumps out on cue every time. On this model the pump is a seperate unit, and it performs fine. I pulled it and cleaned it to double check but everything checked out.

During the spin cycle of a wash, when the spin cycle starts up and then stops prematurely, the pump is actually running. It has the water as low as it can take it.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
What can cause that problem is the clutch, theres two white pieces in the clutch that if not sitting right wont allow the tub to really get up to full speed. remove the clutch and check those two pieces.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

This is what it should look like.