Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator, the ice maker of which leaks

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator, the ice maker of which leaks water over the side of the ice making bin and into the ice cube collector. The plastic elbow (at the back of the refrigerator) which connects to the water line was just replaced because it was cracked. The ice maker, however, was operating properly prior to the leak discovery and subsequent repair. When I discovered the leak I turned off the water to the refrigerator until I could get an appliance expert out to repair it, so the water was off for a considerable period of time. Now that everything is back on, the ice maker is allowing water to pour into the freezer. What's up?
Welcome to Just Answer..My name is XXXXX XXXXX water is pouring into the freezer ..Then you most likely have a faulty ice maker module...By turning the unit on and off..The ice maker may have been in the middle of a cycle...Which would trip the micro switch in the ice maker module to send power to water valve...You would need to either replace the ice maker module..Or take it apart and see if the switch tripped or stuck in the on position....The ice maker is the only part of the ice maker circuit that sends power directly to the water valve...So in other words if the water valve is powered up the only place to look is the ice maker itself..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the icemaker was in the middle of a cycle when shut off, would it when restarted continue to overfill at every cycle thereafter?   Is there no way to "recalibrate" it? 
You can try to manually put the maker into cycle ...Remove the white cover...It pulls straight off...You will see two small holes at 5 o clock...Take a piece of insulated wire...Strip off both ends...Insert both ends into the two holes at the same time...Once the plastic gear starts to rotate remove the wire...It should cycle on its own...
#18 is the cover..#29 is the module..The two holes will be at five o clock next to the gear on the module..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I will be accepting your answer. Before I sign off, however, can you tell me if a handy DIY'r could be reasonably expected to replace the module by himself?
Honestly i would not just replace the module...i would replace the complete ice maker..Problem is all the parts wear together...From past experience replaceing the module only then having to replace the complete unit not to long after...