How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maytag washer is leaking and I need to get inside. Cant figure

This answer was rated:

Maytag washer is leaking and I need to get inside. Can't figure out how to open the machine.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.


if you can get me a model # XXXXX can get you diagrams and instructions, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where would I find the model number? I have looked all over the machine.
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Top-loading washer only

  • Under the lid
  • On the back of the control panel
  • On the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body

Front-loading washer only

  • Behind the door
  • Behind or on top of the control panel
  • On the side of the unit near the front

Top- or front-loading washer-dryer combination unit

  • Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On the top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model LAT9706AAE
ok great, there are screws in the bottom of the front panel you need to remove to take the panel off, once those are out swing the panel out at the bottom and it will come off, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We turned the washing machine on its side and did not see any screws. What am I missing?
ok try this, on the top of the front panel between the top of machine and the panel there are clips,# XXXXX take a screw driver and push them in and lift the top up. there are probably screws down in the front on the sides or there will be screws right on the top after you lift it to remove the front panel. let me know, you will need the machine standing back up to do this though,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I be able to see the clips? I know this sounds strange but this machine looks like there is no way in. I can slide a screwdriver down the side of it, and see inside somewhat but I don't see clips. My husband is coming home shortly. Can I pay you for this and then come back to you later if we need more help?
ok, you really cant see the clips but they are about 2-3" in from each side between the top and the font panel, I will be here when your husband gets home and he can ask more questions if he needs, just come back and post I will receive it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So do I just keep this open? Or do I go ahead and pay you now, then come back? It will probably be about another hour or two. Let me know. Also, I have only used this service once, and was confused on to add on a bonus. Can you explain that to me? Thanks!
well you can just wait for your husband to get home no need to pay yet, I will be here most of the day , just post back and as soon as I see it I will reply,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do. Thanks so much!
no problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, we got the front off and are now running a load to find the leak. It doesn't start leaking immediately.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When the tub starts agitating is when the leak begins. It is leaking at a connection underneath the tub right at the bottom of the tub. It looks like a round connection at the bottom of the tub where it should be holding water before it drains. It doesn't seem to have anything on it that you can tighten up. No bolt or fastener. Its completely plastic.


There is a round disc rhat spins around and moves the tub, and at the connection of the white disc that spins and the connection to the tank there is a gasket and this is where it is leaking. Can we seal this with silicone? Or do we need to replace it?

is this what its leaking from?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What I can see doesn't look anything like this. What I see is a metal cone shape that attaches to the bottom of the tub. On the other side is a white round metal disc. When its spinning, the white disc is facing me, and the cone is on the other side.


can you tell me what # XXXXX on this diagram?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The closest item is number 20. This is supposing that the bottom of the tub (the metal piece) is #27. However the metal cone and white disc are one piece with the point of the cone pointing toward the front and the white disc rotating around.


But its the connection at the bottom of the tank that is leaking.

so it seems to me your talking about this leaking around the center shaft correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I think so.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure if you got my email. Yes it is a shaft that is in the center of the tub underneath
ok this means the tub seal is leaking(very common on these) this is actually under the inner tub but the water leaks out down through the shaft. you will need a spanner wrench also to do this, Part 1590this is a big job however and you may want to have this done, by the time you get the wrench and seal and the labor involved its not worth doing yourself, trust me we even hate doing these, but if you want heres a link to the parts, seal, and this is the link the wrench,. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So would it be cheaper to buy a new machine once you add in the labor?
thats up to you, the cost to have this done is around $150.00-$200.00 depending on the company. Sears will charge you $300.00 so stay away form them, the other issue is sometimes the tub itself can rust and even a new seal wont help( a little food for thought) they may come out and tell you its unrepairable and charge you a service call, thanks Bryan, P.S. if you do buy a new machine buy a Whirlpool top load direct drive, they are the best ion the market today.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there instructions outlining how to do this? My husband believes there is just a hole in the gasket and wants to know if we could seal it up with silicone as a temporary fix?
I don't believe silicone will hold on this but you can try, the instructions only come with the parts, just to get to this you will need the tub removed(inner) and that requires the spanner wrench.
Bryan and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you