Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile quietpower6 dishwasher that is exactly

Customer Question
3 years old. It...
I have a GE Profile quietpower6 dishwasher that is exactly 3 years old. It has an automatic detergent dispenser. The last few months it has not been cleaning the dishes well, even if I put it on the antibacterial setting. There is also a film left on the glasses.
I do not have hard water. I have not changed detergents. Nothing I am doing is different than before it started to act poorly.
What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get us the model #? First, here are some tips to help with your model number:

1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.

Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Built in

• Inside the door jamb, to the left, right, or top
  • On the door, to the left, right or top

Portable

• On the back of the unit
PDW928NOOSS
how much water is in the bottom of the tub after this is done filling when you start it?
I have never seen any water in the bottom of the tub after I start it. Maybe just enough to cover the bottom at best.
ok your not getting enough water to clean the dishes , theres no water pressure if its to low, you should have about 2" or more in the bottom after this first fills, its either the float sticking or the water valve itself is bad.
How do I check the float. Does it pull off: screw off? It is the grey domed piece in the front?
remove float cover # XXXXX in this diagram, under that is the float if its moves up and down freely and you hear a slight click its fine , then you need the valve, this behind the panel under the door, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-PDW928NOOSS+-%3d%3dd617595ei824332&PartID=824332 thanks Bryan
I checked the float and it moves up and down freely but I do not hear a click, unless you mean the sound when you put the cover back on-that clicks.

If it is the valve, how difficult is it to install. My husband installed the dishwasher, so he is pretty handy.
its the valve,if he installed the dish washer he knows how to do the valve, its the part he hooked the water up to. very easy, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Why should a water value go after three years, when I only run the dishwasher once or twice a week since there is only two of us? Is this common?
it can go in a year , these things are cheap now and made in Mexico and other third world country's , if your not getting enough water there are only two reasons for this one is the float switch and the other the valve, if your husband has a volt meter have him test for voltage to the valve while its filling if you get 120 volts and no water or very little water its the valve,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let you know how it works out.
ok , have a great day,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician