Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My bottom freezer GE refrigerator is not cooling, the freezer

is working fine? Any...
My bottom freezer GE refrigerator is not cooling, the freezer is working fine? Any thoughts??
8/5/2010
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Justin :

Hi there, my name is Justin. How are you this afternoon?

I'd like to know if the fan inside the freezer is running? Is there frost build up on the freezer rear panel?

Customer :

Hi Justin, the fan is on in the freezer and there is no frost on the rear panel.

Justin :

Ok, close the freezer and I want you to focus inside the refrigerator now. There is a duct assembly running up from the bottom of the refrigerator in the center of the back wall. Is ANY air coming out of the duct at the top? The door switch may need closed while you check this.

Customer :

There seems to be a little air coming out.

Customer :

Should it be obvious that air is coming out?

Justin :

It should feel light. Is the air cold?

Justin :

You might want to remove your shelves and that duct assembly to see if the damper door is frozen shut at the bottom

Justin :

That does happen occasionally

Customer :

OK, that would be at the bottom of the refrigerator section?

Justin :

Yes, the duct is the part in the center from the bottom to the top. This is the multi port duct. Remove this to see the damper in the bottom of the refrigerator.

Customer :

OK I got the duct off, there is an opening in some styrofoam, what am I looking for? What is a damper door?

Justin :

Check the bottom of the duct assembly.

Justin :

The plastic and styrofoam should come off

Justin :

Then you should see a hole into the freezer

Justin :

there should be a damper control in the base of that duct work

Customer :

I took the foam off the duct work, there are no moving parts just a plastic and foam duct, from inside the fridge I can see down into the freezer, there appears to be a fan down there. I don't see anything frozen.

Justin :

Strange. There is generally some damper which allows air to flow in the fresh food section when it needs cooled. Check the air returns on the side to see if they are frozen. The air returns back to the freezer from ducts on the sides of the bottom of the refrigerator section.

Justin :

70 degrees tells me no air is moving into the fresh food section if your freezer is still ok.

Customer :

There is air blowing up the hole from the freezer, I disconnected the electric switch from the duct when I took it out.

Customer :

Yes.

Justin :

Does the wiring stay as part as the duct assembly you removed?

Justin :

If so, there should be damper door inside there. I can't tell because the assembly is sold as a whole

Justin :

It's only showing me the air duct assembly

Justin :

There has to be some door control in that duct work

Justin :

Unless it's a thermistor you pulled

Customer :

From the foam part of the duct I have half the wiring, the other half is still in the fridge attached. Should I take the foam part of the duct completely apart? The outer cover of the duct is just a plastic piece. The wiring has 4 wires going to it.

Justin :

I think the problem lies within the duct partner. The duct assembly is sold as one piece though. Take a razor blade and cut a nice clean slice. Something you can piece back together with some masking tape if need be.

Justin :

Four wires sounds like a damper control

Justin :

look for a door that may be frozen shut, although it's out now so it may have thawed. If you notice the temps in your fridge dropping, that's your answer.

Customer :

OK I got a part out that has a door that opens and closes, it is a the end of the wiring, it has a number NSBY001SC1 on it. I just put a thermometer back in the fridge so i'll wait a bit to see if the temps drop. Do you think this part is what's wrong, it was in the open position when I took it out?

Justin :

Maybe it opened while it was out. Sometimes they get frozen just enough to hold the door shut. You can't order that damper motor assembly separately. I'd watch temps in the FF section for a bit. If they drop, put the part back in and see what your results are.

Customer :

OK, about how long should I wait to check the temp?

Customer :

If I need this part what is it called that I will need to order? This fridge has been in service a little over 6 years, if it was yours would you repair or replace it??

Justin :

Sorry, I had to run an errand quick. It's the damper assembly part number WR09X10115. The whole assembly costs about 185 bucks. If your temps drop inside, reinstall it. Just might have been frozen up. I'd fix the refrigerator if it were mine. Since the freezer is the only place cooling occurs, and you state it is fine, I believe it's all air flow related. You should see temps drop quickly from 70 if the air is flowing correctly.

Customer :

OK thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to give it a little more time and then check the temps. I'll get back with you

Customer :

OK Justin, I gave it an hour and the temp is down to 58 from 78 so I assume we are doing OK. I'm going to put the duct back in with the damper door in what I think is the open position. If the little motor is out, it will stay open correct? I'm a little confused, how will I know if it was frozen shut or if I fixed it?

Customer :

Since the temp is down will the stuff I put back in the fridge be OK if I decide not to put the duct back in until tomorrow morning? I just heard the fan from the freezer turn off, should it have done that since the temp is not down in the fridge to where it should be?

Justin :

If you leave the damper motor out, you'll freeze your refrigerator. I just meant the damper door may have froze shut. You need to reinstall that motor.

Justin :

The fan in the freezer can shut off if the board goes into defrost or if the freezer temperature is satisfied.

Justin :

You will only know if it's fixed if putting it back in results in correct temperatures. All I'm trying to find out is if the damper door was frozen in the closed position

Justin :

Which it could have been and it could have thawed while out of the unit. As I said, something was blocking air flow. If you want, leave it out a few hours, but not overnight. Then check it in the morning. This should tell you if that damper was at fault somehow.

Customer :

OK , damn I'm tired but I'll put it back in now, how much longer will you be here, it's 9:00 PM in Dallas?

Justin :

I'm in and out. It is 10:19 in PA

Justin :

Throw it in. If you start losing cooling again, replace the damper assembly. Watch the temps in the freezer though too just to make sure you're not losing cooling in the entire unit.

Customer :

OK Justin, it's back in and we will see in the AM if the problem is fixed.  Thanks for your help, I know alot more about how a fridge works now for sure! 

Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
OK, checked temp in fridge this morning, still at 58 degrees so still not fixed. The freezer seems to be fine, ice still frozen etc. Is is safe to assume it is the damper assembly, I don't want to purchase part if it could be something else, it's a pain not having a fridge.
Please reply to last post ASAP so I can order parts, thanks.

Order the damper assembly WR09X10115

Sorry, I was working all day and just got home and saw your post. If you put that assembly back in and your freezer is at 0 (or so) then it's an air flow issue.

I ordered the part, thanks for your help Justin! Have a nice weekend!
Sounds good. I hope it's the solution to your problem.
Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician