Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I own a 16 year old model LAT9704 maytag wash machine. The

I own a 16 year old model LAT9704 maytag wash machine. The problem that I am having is that it will not start the rinse cycle. The machine fills with rinse water and the timer moves ahead as if it were going to start the rinse, but the timer just clicks and the agitation doesn't start. Then the timer will continue through the rest of the cycle but the machine does not run. If I push the timer knob in and return it to the point where the machine stopped (the rinse cycle), and pull the knob the rinse cycle will start and the machine will run normally to finish the load. This has happened on both the regular cycle and on the permanent press cycle. Could this be a solenoid problem?
Chat Conversation Started
Bryan :

are you washing in hot water or cold to start the wash?

Bryan :

never mind last question, you say it fills with the rinse water then just sits there and the timer moves to the end, correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello

Bryan :

ok you have a lid switch issue,

Part 1468
Full Size Image
this is in the control panel if you open it up. you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-22001682-%3d%3di1468&PartID=1468this will take care of your issue, thanks Bryan

Customer:

ok I'll give it a try

Customer:

thanks

Bryan :

no problem this is common on these, if by chance this is good its a timer problem test the fuse and the switches before ordering that, I'll be back on in a few, need to go out for a little bit, thanks Bryan

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the fuse is not tripped does that mean tha the switch assembly is good?
no, it could be one of the switches is bad, this happens a lot,