Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer. It just started making a horrible

Customer Question
grinding sound when I tried...
I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer. It just started making a horrible grinding sound when I tried to run it. I have felt around the drum- around the rubber or whatever material soft lining between drumanddryer and have not found anything. When I spin the drum by hand, there is no grinding noise and seems to turn easily.

Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/3/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Bryan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you get me the model #? thanks

Customer:

I think it is GEW9250PL1. This is from the plate onthe inside of the dryer door. Very small print, even with my glasses! Does this sound like a model number? Where it would be located?

Bryan :

yes thats it, give me a minute to look at it, thanks

Bryan :

it looks like you need to replace these,

Part 922902
Full Size Image
these are the drum roolers and wont make a grinding noise when you turn it by hand, this will reqiure tearing the machine apart because they are both in the front and the back of this (there are 4) I would reccomend replacing all at this point, if one is bad the orthers wont be far behind, heres a diagram of the insides, they are part # XXXXX on this digarm,
Full Size Image
hope this helps, you can order these @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GEW9250PL1-%3d%3di922902&PartID=922902 thanks Bryan

Customer:

Do you think the average homeowner could do this? Tearing the machine apart sounds scary. Do I need to calrepairman?

Bryan :

its best to call a repair man on this one its quite a job to do, we replace a lot of these so I pretty sure thats the problem, that would be my sugestion call for service, thanks Bryan

Customer:

Approx. how much do you think it will cost?

Bryan :

the average service call is around $79.00 plus the labor (maybe 1 hour) and parts, around fifteen dollars each, your probably looking at around $200

Customer:

When I call in for repair, should I tell them it is part 21 and we want all 4 replaced? I guess I am asking if there are any other possibilities about what is wrong? Budget is tight, trying to minimize surprises!

Customer:

Thanks

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Did you see my last question about could there be anything else wrong?
sorry i lost the chat , anyway tell them you need the support rollers replaced, you don't have to replace all four if the money is tight its probably just one causing this, I just didn't want you to have the same problem with another wheel down the road, this may not even happen at all so maybe just one will do it, hope this helps, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX may be something else causing this but unless you can take this apart theres no way of knowing , the only other possibility's would be the idler pulley or something stuck behind the drum, usually though its the roller.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
thanks
no problem, well wishes and thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician