Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool washer front loader, I keep having problems

Customer Question
with the F-35... I have...
I have a whirlpool washer front loader, I keep having problems with the F-35... I have unplugged it and restarted . just not being operative like it used to be, it wants to always drain first.. Help.. Debbie
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Hiya,

The F35 indicates that the main control board detects a problem with the analog pressure sensor (water level pressure switch) in the washer. This component senses and controls water level in the washer. This failure could be caused by a pinched or broken air hose between the air trap at the bottom of the washer tub and the analog pressure sensor. It can also be caused by a clogged air trap or a failed analog pressure sensor. If you are able to unplug the washer and pull off the top panel, you can check for the probable cause of this failure.

To remove the top panel, remove the screws on the very back of the panel that secure it to the washer cabinet. Pull the top panel back slightly and then and off of the washer. It is on the side wall just behind the expansion control board. You can check the air pressure hose connection and the wire harness connection on this component.

This component costs around $99.This information was based on the general description of the washer model that you provided There are several different models of this washer.

This advice is for Whirlpool Duet & Kenmore Elite model FRONT LOADER washing machines experiencing the SUDS lock error code.

The "SUDS" error can be caused by too much detergent, improper detergent, drain pump/drain line problem, or pressure switch malfunction.

1. If you are not using HE detergent, you need to be. These washers are designed to use HE detergent which is formulated for wash tubs that use 5 to 7 gallons of water. If you use regular detergent, you are, in affect, placing a higher concentration of detergent in the washer that is normally formulated for wash tubs that have a 35 gallon capacity. The manufacturer should have a disclaimer in the owner's manual explaining this. In most cases this will also void your warranty. NOTE: Prolonged use of the wrong detergent can damage the drain pump components and or wash tub seals.

If you are using the correct detergent, double check the label to make sure it is not double (2X) or triple (3X) concentrated. You could still be placing too much soap in your wash.

To get rid of excessive detergent, place the washer on a RINSE & SPIN cycle, then run it through a normal wash cycle with NO detergent added. You may have to repeat these steps depending on the amount of detergent used.

2. If you do not have a detergent issue, double check the drain pump and drain lines to ensure they are not obstructed in any way. Click on the following link for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.fixya.com/support/r3574284-checking_the_drain_pump_on_a_front_loade

Obstructions in the drain pump and/or drain lines can attribute to air getting trapped in the drain pump and cause the error code. Double check all electrical connections to the drain pump and Central Control Unit (CCU). You will need to remove the top panel of the washer to access the CCU. This is accomplished by removing the three screws in the back of the washer that hold the top panel in place. With the screws removed, slide the panel back, then off. The CCU is located directly behind the wash tub in the center of the washer. The Drain Pump connector will be the 6th connector (facing from the front L to R) in the center of the CCU.

3. Check the Pressure Switch to ensure it is good. The Pressure Switch is located to the right of the CCU as you are looking from the front. It is a small cylindrical shaped device with a connector plug and an air hose attached. The switch can be checked at several water levels by removing the plug and taking resistance readings at the connector pins. Readings are as follows:

(Pins are numbered R to L facing the from the REAR)

Pins 1 to 2 (SUDS Detect) – 0 ohms
Pins 3 to 4 (Overflow) – 0 ohms
Pins 4 to 5 (L1) – 0 ohms
Pins 4 to 6 (Empty) – 0 ohms

I hope this information is informative and helpful.

NOTE: If these preliminary measures do not correct your problem, you may have to replace the drain pump. It does not take much to damage the pump impeller or motor. Since the error code can be generated if the drain cycle exceeds 8 minutes, if the pump is damaged and can't pump at the required volume, the error code will continue to appear until the pump is replaced.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 1:42 PM EST
Neilwill
Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician