Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE refrigerator Model GS2225QSTASS Side by side steel was

Customer Question
freezing food in the refrigerator...
My GE refrigerator Model GS2225QSTASS Side by side steel was freezing food in the refrigerator. Now things are defrosting in the freezer and the refrigerator is no longer as cold. The temperatures for both have been at the factory settings. The unit was purchased 3 1/2 years ago. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer? do you hear the fan running in the freezer? is there a clicking comming from the back?

Thanks for your reply.

There's no frost on the back panel.

The fan is running and there is cool air blowing.

There is no clicking.

sorry was off line for a bit. ok if you can pull this away from the wall and take the cover off over the compressor and feel the compressor , is it hot,warm, or cold, also see if its vibrating(running) let me know , thanks Bryan

It is cold and vibrating. I also cleaned a lot of dust off it.

if its cold thats not good, this means its not running or its bad, let it run a little while and check it again, do you hear any clicking or buzzing every few minutes comming from it ?

There's no clicking or buzzing.

There is air flow in the freezer and fridge, but it's not very cold.

you have to check the control board # XXXXX on this diagram, take it out and turn it over to check for a bad solder connection, or burns, let me know, thanks, Bryan

I just opened that panel and I'm a little uncomfortable to playa round with that board.

I have never done this before and I'm not sure how sensitive this board is or how I would remove it.

there are 4 plastic posts on the refrigerator holding the board, you need to squeeze them with needle nose pliers and pull the board out, if your uncomfortable then you may need to call a tech , sorry. does the board smell funny like it burned?

I was able to get in there and the board shows no burns.

Three of the plastic posts were easy the 4th was a pain.

yeah I know. ok put it back and plug the refrigerator back in, do you hear the compressor start?
yes it has a low whir.
ok next you need to take the back panel inside the freezer off and check the frost pattern on the coils, let me know what they look like,

No can do. I've got stuff in there and people are arriving at the house in a little bit.

ok , can you tomorrow? we need to see the frost pattern to know.

Bryan, We've got people staying overnight and we're off to disney tomorrow.

I think that the freezing in the refrigerator compartment may be from a "damper" problem.

It looks like the problems are with the compressor and maybe also the damper.

I've made an appointment for a GE guy to come on Wed. So, I don't think i'll be able to check the coils before then.

What would be your best guess at this stage or is it impossible for you to tell?

(I've googled this refrigerator and even though this unit is just a few years old it looks like others have had problems w/ the compressor and damper. The damper is noted for causing freezing in the refrigerator area.)

if its freezing things in the refrigerator still the damper is most likely the cause, I was more concerned with the freezer defrosting, not sure at this point didn't get to check enough things, anyway good luck and well wishes, thanks Bryan

It's no longer freezing things in the refrigerator and

the freezer is definitely warmer and things are thawing. There is still cool air blowing on both sides. It's just not cold enough to freeze anything.

well you need this looked at as soon as possible then. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician