Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

ive replace the gas valve coils and the tempature sensor on

the heat delivery tube, but...
ive replace the gas valve coils and the tempature sensor on the heat delivery tube, but my maytag ldg7334aae dryer won't stay lit
7/16/2010
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

try taking the vent hose completely off the dryer and run it, see if it stays on then, let me know, thanks Bryan

OK I'LL BE back
ok
took dryer hose off ran dryer-same thing- lights stays on less then minute shuts off for about minute (maybe less) turns on stay on less then minute turns off, checked the exaust hose its clear
ok , you said you replaced the coils and I thinks this correct? Part 481329

did you get my reply- i took the hose off and the same symtom still occurs

dryer lites stays on less then minute --goes out--about the same time it stayed on, goes on again and does the same thing

yes I received that did you get my reply?
no i didn't
sorry is this what you replaced? Part 3479Part 481329
yes
ok, there are more thermostats in this. there is the cycling thermostat, Part 484291if thats not the problem you gas valve is failing,
where is the cycling termostat- is it # XXXXX on the part list-have u ever had a gas vavle fail-do you mean the coils arn't holding the valve open-what is a radiant flame sensor, does that control the gas flow ? sorry to be a pest
well the radiant flame sensor could be faulty but its unusual, the thermostat is on the blower assembly. #10 or #8 on this diagram, its hard to tell by the diagram though,
why would the flame stay on when i remove the tempature sensor # XXXXX from the heating tube?
you mean when you take the thermostat you replaced off the tube it stays lit? if so you have a clog inside the dryer thats allowing the dryer tube to overheat. either that or your blower wheel is loose and its not blowing the air out strong enough, check the blower wheel, these strip and don't blow the air out strong enough.

ok i'll do that it will take a little time can i get back to you in a bit

sure no problem,

what are dangers if i keep the tempature sensor away from the heat tube and run the dryer on time dry?

very dangerous, this is what shuts the valve down when it overheats, you have an air flow problem in this, the heat from the flame is not being taken out of the burner tube and so the tube overheats and shuts the valve down, unless you received a bad thermostat thats all it could be,

those other three sensors the ones on the exuast fan- and the radiant flame sensor aren't capable of make the gas valve close,

the length of time that the dryer is on before the gas valve closes makes me wonder about overheating. is there a simple test i can perform on the tempature sensor?

has the ignitor have any function other then the original ingnition? Don't u wish u could just go downstair look at this thing and say -here's your problem" this is like pulling teeth Tongue out

this is a pain to do on line. on the thermostats on the exuast how many wires on them ? 4?

the one with the insulation type piece nearest the fan part # XXXXX it(NNN) NNN-NNNNhas two wires

the other on to the right as u look at the fan cover has 5 wires

is this the one with five wires?Part 484290
this is it
ok you can take the two 1/4" wires off and tape them together for a test, if it stays lit it the thermostat. not the two little ones in the middle but the outside ones.
it looks the same but it has different numbers and color, what do think? they are calling it a multi temp gas thermostat, or AKA (also known as) cycling thermostat

ok taping away wish me luck

let me know.
i taped the red and purple wire together, the purple has a exrta lead the connects to the middle post of the three inner wires, anyhow the red and purple go to the sensor on the heater tude, the the results gave the same symtoms gas lit -stayed a few seconds and went out. i disconnected the red wire from the 5 pronged sensor and the ignitor would lite, the radient flame sensor has blk and white wires that hook up to the bigger of the two gas valve coils
you can put the wires back on the thermostats, thats not the problem, you may have a bad radiant sensor, try replacing it and see if it works, I don't see any other cause other than what I told you, the blower , or a clog. thanks, Bryan
the wires that were on the rt and left terminals as u look at it red on left purple on left
this isn't the problem I don't believe.

the gas valve has a distinctful click they don't sound like they are hanging up. can they be taken apart and to clean is it possible there is a weak spring or something inside,

could any of the new parts COILS AND TEMP SENSOR BE DEFECTIVE-is there a way to test them.? you've heard of run on sentences, but have u heard of run on questions? Smile

well you cant take the valve; apart but you can try jumping out the new thermostat you installed and see if it runs longer, if so you may have a bad thermostat from the supply house, don't leave it jumped out though its a safety,

jump out i assume is putting the two wires together, i will try this

Is there a repairman hot line where u guys can asked if anyone has encountered the unique symtoms that this dryer is manifesting.

gas valve will work when the heat tube thermostat is removed (meaning still wired but just located away from the flame?

I think the thermostat is faulty, even th its new, its kicking the burner off to soon,
i connected the two wires and the flame stay on

how can i bench test the thermostat?

110volts a light buld and a match?

its bad . you really cant test this without knowing the temp you are applying to it. it opens @ 220 degrees.

i quess were done, should i wait to see if ur right or should i just pay and say thank you,

thats up to you, this is either getting over 220 degrees in the tube and shutting it down or the thermostat is bad, thats about all there is, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician