Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Hi I have a Whirlpool compact, front load washer. I removed

Customer Question

Hi
I have a Whirlpool compact, front load washer. I removed the clogged lint trap, cleaned it & now I'm having trouble re-installing the lint trap. Help??

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 7 years ago.
What is the model number please? Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

These are all the numbers listed on the ID decal, inside the door.

LH0050PQ

20043100738-010477008-01 02

Serial Number CAR3100738

Thanks

That was what I needed. To remove the filter you open the door and turn the filter 90 degrees counterclockwise and pull it out. To reinstall you reverse the steps. Let me know if you have any problems or questions. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Thanks!

Yes, I know all that, I've done it before. However, today the lint trap WILL NOT re-insert into the machine. I can insert it, almost all the way in - but NOT all the way & it will not properly turn & lock in place.

Help?

Dan, it sounds like lint etc fell off the trap and is blocking the trap from reinserting. Try to shine a light in and use a coat hanger etc to clear any lint that is in the way. Unplug first for safety even though there is no electric in that area. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks

But no clogs to remove. It is as if the removable part of the trap somehow 'grew' about 1/2" or so & is just too long to go back into the compartment in the machine. Should part of the compartment turn with the insert?

Dan, I'm not sure if anything in the housing should turn. The entire housing can be removed if needed by removing the 2 screws where the filter pulls out and then the 8 bottom panel screws. Then you can see the filter housing from the bottom. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'd really rather not take the machine apart. Is it necessary? Could I have somehow damaged the gasket near the 'handle' on the lint trap? The gasket seems to be blocking the filter. The gasket does seem to be properly placed in the groove on the lint trap.

Should I just give up & call Mr FixIt to come in and repair it?

Thanks

The gasket should be right behind the handle/knob. The knob screws off and there is a large washer that holds the gasket onto the front of the filter. Try to get that separated before we give up to see if it is lined up right. Let me know how it goes. I will be away for a while but I will check back later. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Between my post of Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:35 PM EST and your post of

Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:53 PM EST, a friend stopped in and was able to solve my problem.

Thank you for your attempt.

Glad to hear you got it solved. Dave