Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hi, I have a GE fridge Model # GSS25JFMD WW - Serial # GD252084. Last…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a GE...
Hi, I have a GE fridge Model # XXXXX WW - Serial # XXXXX
Last week the freezer went out, we pulled it out and cleaned the coils - we could hear it running - when we got up the next day - it was working. Has worked for 5 days and then yesterday - started thawing out again. Now this am - it is working, making ice? What should I do???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/30/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
is it thawing out slightly or does it get to room temperature?

Thaws out completely - frozen items become completely soft and liquid - it hasn't completly become room temp because it will start back up working within 12-24 hours.

ok well that sounds like your unit is going into defrost (happens every couple of days) and is staying in defrost too long. There is a thermistor that tells the unit when to kick out of defrost which doesn't sound like it's working so I would suggest replacing this part. If you pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer, there is a small plastic white bullet looking device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Remove and replace this part and you should be good to go again. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I've looked at the back panel - it appears that I will have to take off all of the shelf clips, then is it the panel from the light cover down? I saw the wires - how do I connect them?
yes that is correct. And you'll need to cut the wires and splice them together with the new sensor when you replace it.
See my 6/30 question. I purchased and installed the defrost thermostat you recommended and initially I thought I was successful - but, alas, it is still cycling into defrost until all ice/food is defrosted and then kicks back on and begins to make ice and freeze again. Any further suggestions?
the only other part that will cause this is the main control board on the back of the unit itself. So replace that control board next, unfortunately it's not a cheap part.