Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hi - you were kind enough to help me in the past with my fridge,

and I didn't know that...
Hi - you were kind enough to help me in the past with my fridge, and I didn't know that one could come back to the same person.
Essentially, I have a washing machine, a Kenmore model 417 421 42100, Serial #XC204 04581 that is not doing its spin cycle.
I've replaced the pump as that was making some sounds and not running properly. Now I can hear the pump running smoothly but still can't get the spin cycle to work. Can you help me please?
6/29/2010
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
on this unit, does the tub still move back and forth during the wash cycle? Does the tub move at all during the spin cycle?

I'm assuming it fills up since you state that it is draining correct?
Yes the tub moves back and forth and it does drain - I can hear the pump making sounds that seem to be the movement of water. But it doesn't do a fast spin cycle.
ok but does the tub move at all when it gets to the spin cycle? Does it go back and forth? Does it turn in one direction slowly?
Yes it seems to just move back and forth during what I assume would be the spin cycle. It does turn in both directions and fairly fast. But it doesn't spin very fast with that centrifugal force that gets the excess water out of the clothes
ok well that means that the unit thinks it's out of balance. Have you tried to run a cycle without any clothes? Will it spin with no clothes inside? What about your load is it a fairly unbalance load right now?
All I have in the machine right now is a small hand towel, which I've been using to see if it's working properly or not and after putting the machine into spin cycle 3 times, that hand towel is sodding wet.
So that's the closest I've got to running it without a load.
ok try running it without a load at all. Only having 1 piece of clothing in it is worse than overloading it because it can't possibly balance it out. Just try it and see if it spins. If so, then you know it's just unbalanced. If not, then you have a big decision to make because you either have a bad tachometer inside your motor, or you have a bad motor control board. There is no way at all to determine which one is at fault so you have to guess at to which one you want to replace first.
Can you give me links to both the tachometer and the motor control board, please? So that I can price them.

How easy is it to replace those parts by myself? Is there a diagram somewhere?
Could there be other causes? Bad solenoid somewhere?
there are no other possibilities if the tub is moving back and forth. And I don't have diagrams. You can't replace the tachometer separate it comes with the motor, they are both about $150. Below is a link to each part.

CLICK HERE FOR MOTOR BOARD

CLICK HERE FOR MOTOR

So I may have to buy a motor (which as the tachometer) or a motor board.
Any suggestions how to trouble shoot this as I don't want to buy 2 parts and find I only need one?
Also where on the machine are these parts? If I take them off the machine, is there somewhere I can take them to be checked out before I buy $300 worth of parts?
again, there is NO WAY to determine which one is at fault, so that's a price you'll pay if you get the wrong part. you can always call a technician and they can return the part they don't use, but you cannot so that's the disadvantage.

As far as where they are located, pull the machine forward and remove the back panel. The motor is in the back left corner of the washer and the motor control board is under the tub in the back right corner as well.
Will I need any special tools/devices to insert these parts/ remove them or calibrate them?
nope, they all come ready to go and it's just plug and play. Not sure what size screws are on the back panel or the size bolt that is holding the motor on but they are just standard tools like an adjustable wrench and screwdriver that should be needed.
Finally, at this juncture, would I be smarter to just get someone to come and deal with this? I can buy the 2 parts and return the one I don't need to Repair Clinic. So I'll only be out the one part and my time to change it. From your experience what do you think is a smarter way to handle this? Thanks for this
if you CAN return the part then yes, just fix it yourself. If you can't, then I'd call someone because it'll cost the same to replace both parts as it will to have someone come out and replace the part you need.
Thank you for this. I am very happy to pay you extra but won't to hold until I've resolved the repair. Best wishes, andrea
ok good luck.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
You were great and now I know I can, I'm going to try and work with you next time too.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX did the trick and I'll be returning the circuit board
Best wishes for the holiday, andrew