Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Amana Gas stove ags780. Oven has trouble preheating…

Customer Question
I have a Amana Gas...
I have a Amana Gas stove ags780. Oven has trouble preheating and gas smell also. Ignigtor looks fine. Replace heat element?

Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/29/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
actually your ignitor is faulty. If you check the amp drawer, it should read 3.2 amps or more. Just because it's glowing orange doesn't mean it's working correctly. If it's only drawing 3.1 amps it will open the valve and possibly close it when it's not supposed to or crack it open which is why you get a gas smell. These igniters only last 6-8 years under normal use before they need to be replaced. Below is a link ot the oven igniter you need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Is it a big deal to replace?
not really at all no. Just remove the racks and unplug the oven. Then remove the floor and the igniter is just mounted to the bake burner by 2 screws. Remove the screws and pull the igniter out. Then cut the 2 wires going to the igniter and splice in the new igniter.
Splice in what form?
well, if you cut the wires, the new igniter will come with 2 ceramic wire nuts so that you can twist the new igniter wires onto the wires that you cut from the oven.
Sounds great thanks. Was just confused. First time working on a oven.

Thank you!
no problem and best of luck to you.