Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

our GE Spacemaker microwave is 5 years old. It cuts out about…

Customer Question
our GE Spacemaker microwave is...
our GE Spacemaker microwave is 5 years old. It cuts out about 5 seconds after starting. It reboots (asks for time etc). If I immediately reboot and try to use it, sometimes it will eventually work. Can you tell me what needs to be fixed/replaced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/29/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

do you have a model #?

JVM1650CH01
after looking at the parts i believe the control board is bad, Part 875386when you say reboot it how are you doing this, unplugging and plugging back in?
It restarts on its own - I do nothing. It is like plugged it in. That is, it says "press clock", then asks for time and date. After this I enter a time to run and it runs for a few seconds and then shuts down.
this could be a door switch thats failing also.its really hard to say in your case, you would need to check the door switches before continuing , the problem with microwaves is they are very dangerous to work on, heres the warning, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

/!\ WARNING

ELECTROCUTION HAZARD
HIGH VOLTAGE

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven

its best to have a tech look at this, be safe, thanks Bryan

Thank you for your attention. I am, however, disappointed. Basically, you are telling me I should not attempt any repair myself due to the danger. You are uncertain of what part is faulty -but that doesn't matter because I shouldn't try anything myself. You could have said this upfront and asked if I wanted to go further.
well I'm just warning you and telling you the two possible causes so if you do get this serviced you know what your looking at. the board is $152.00 and the door switches are around $20.00 so if you get someone to look at this you will know how much the parts are, could save you money, a lot of company's get a lot more money, sometimes when we tell people right away that this should be serviced by a tech they get mad and tell me I could have figure that much on my own , so I try to explain whats going on now. thanks Bryan