Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator which I purchased with my home…

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator...
I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator which I purchased with my home only 5 years ago. It already developed frosting problems. Every two -three weeks or so I would have to do a major defrost because the behind the freezer panel is all iced up. This tend to clog up the airways leading down to the refrigerator and poorly cooling the ref cabin. I have had a lot of food spoilage already.

I had tried a remedy which is to make the doors seal tight by reversing them because I got the unit with poorly sealed and misaligned doors. I thought that would get rid of the frosting problems but I think it had not.

Please help.
6/29/2010
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

In the control panel where the thermostat is located theres a defrost timer,

look under that control and you will see two screws with a small hole between the screws

use a flat screwdriver and turn a small cog in that hole turn it slowly till the fridge turns off then wait 15 min to see if the frost thaws , if it does thaw replace that defrost timer.

If it doesnt get back to me we can check further.

I don't see two screws with a hole in between.. There's one central screw (flat screwdriverable) and two smaller headed screws (Phillips screwdriverable) situated diagonal to each other to the rear of this central screw.

I also don't see a hole between screws if any, there is a ring plastic relief in the middle of the two "phillips," screws.

Im sorry I was looking at different timer, this is the defrost thermostat its clamped to the freezer coil at the top , remove the freezer panel and check this part and the defrost heater , you need a meter to check these parts , the defrost thermostat is the most common part to fail.

PS371245: Bimetal Defrost Thermostat with Leads - Clip On

What kind of meter is neccessary?

Its called a multi meter you can get one at Home Depot for $ 30.00 , it a real handy tool to have around the house , without the meter your guessing at which part to replace.

Where can I purchase a defrost thermostat here in around Richmondhill?, if in case it doesn't work?

Scarborough

Location Address:XXXXXbr />Scarborough, ON M1J 1K2
View Map / Get Directions

Contact Information:
Local Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Toll-Free in English: 1-800-663-6060
Sans frais en Français: 1-800-361-5512
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 3:00pm

Scarborough

Reliable on McCowan just south of Laurence will have that part for you.
Ok. Let me first get a multimeter. be back in half n hour.
Ok get back to me when you get a chance say Hi to Mike for me down there.

I got the Multimeter and checked the thermostat heater element for ohmage. It doesn't register any conductivity between the two poles. The element needs replacing then?

If you get no reading from the defrost thermostat then that has failed you can also check the element the same way and you should get a reading from that one.

Element is OK.

You got no reading with the defrost thermostat so replace that part it should fix the problem.

Makes me wonder. I got the defrost thermostat but that too doesn't give me a reading in Ohms , I installed it but now how do I know that it would work.

You wont till the fridge gets cold again and the sensor tells the motherboard to defrost the freezer and the time it takes its up to the sensor.
John, Home Appliance Technician

Any estimated time before that happens?

I would give it a couple of days , it all depends on how much food in the freezer and how many times the door is open.