Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

how do i test for a good or bad defrost timer

?...
how do i test for a good or bad defrost timer ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Teamcold :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX are you?

Customer:

well !

Customer:

my freezer side coil keeps freezing up and my frig. side is only 61 deg.... is it likely the defrst timer ?

Teamcold :

I do not believe your model has a defrost timer...just a minute and let me double check that

Teamcold :

That is correct information. One more minute and I will get a drawing up

Customer:

the book shows that it does... i'm pretty sure

Teamcold :

My image program bit the bullet,,,,can you hang on a few minutes?

Customer:

sure !

Teamcold :

Ok I got it back....

Teamcold :

Full Size Image

Teamcold :

Click to see the full size image, number 13 is the adaptive defrost control board.

Teamcold :

And the part number is XXXXX

Teamcold :

The way to determine if the board is bad is to test the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater with an ohm meter

Teamcold :

If they test good the board is bad

Teamcold :

I do have a question

Teamcold :

You defrosted your freezer coils and the freezer is now cold but the fridge is not?

Customer:

ok ?

Teamcold :

Is that correct,,,the freezer is cold? But the fridge is warm?

Customer:

no...It is cooling down now but this happens over and over again

Teamcold :

Right

Teamcold :

I just wanted to be sure I understood..

Teamcold :

Ok do you have an ohm meter?

Customer:

am i looking for a reading of 0 on the ohm meter/

Teamcold :

No it will not be 0 but it will be a reading. Or it will not read at all. A reading is good, no reading is bad.

Teamcold :

You need to disconnect the heater and the defrost thermostat and read them. The defrost thermostat must be frosty cold to test. I will get the drawing for those.

Customer:

ican picture the thermostat but what does the heater look like ?

Teamcold :

The heater looks like an oven element and runs down one side of your coils in the freezer and under the bottom of them...The thermostat will be connected to the heater and will be clipped at or near the top of the coil.

Teamcold :

Full Size Image

Teamcold :

Number 12 and the wire in the drawing does connect to the thermostat,,,no number at the top

Teamcold :

Number 12 is the heater

Teamcold :

So if you get a reading with the thermostat frosty cold and a reading through the heater they are good. You will need the board... Let me get the heater and thermostat part numbers in case you need them.....one moment.

Teamcold :

They do not come seperate so you use this number and it gets you both parts. 61004310

Customer:

you say i need to disconnect the before testing ?

Teamcold :

Thats not a good number sorry,,,it has changed here it is 61006199

...and the board it is 61005988

Teamcold :

Yes you need to if you want to test the parts seperately

Customer:

do i unplug frig during this work ?

Teamcold :

You can, if the fans were off I would unplug it because the defrost circuit could be energized.

Customer:

o.k. ...thanks a million...very helpful !!!

Teamcold :

You bet,,,,If you need something else please come back to the thread that will be here and ask.

Customer:

will do !

Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Thank you,

Your thread is here if you need further assistance.