Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

the dryer ran a load recently and went dead. No light - will…

the dryer ran a load...
the dryer ran a load recently and went dead. No light - will not go on.
Timer still clicks like clock is running, but I cannot get anywhere. Checked the circuit breaker, power connections in the back and tryed to play with the door switch.
What do you suspect?
6/29/2010
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Hi, do you have a volt meter?

I can get one tomorrow.

I suspect you are having a voltage problem, seeing how you have no light. Unplug unit and remove cover for cord. Plug unit back in.Check voltage at cord, across outside connections you should have 220VAC check both outer connections to middle connection, you should have 110VAC.

I can do this but if the circuit breaker did not snap then how would there be a voltage issue?

All connections look sound so when I do the check and I find that the voltage is off then what is the action to then follow.

Timer replacement?

Thermal element replacement?

cord replacement?

ETC?

This response will only get me to a point that says there is a problem. I would expect to get the next steps before i concede to call a repairmain.

If the voltage is off, you will need to check the plug for proper voltage. If the plug is good you have a bad cord. If the plug does not have proper voltage it will be between plug and breaker box. You can have a bad breaker. Just because the breaker did not trip, it does not mean the breaker is good.

Better answer

So I will test both and search for the bad dircuit or bad cord. If both are good then - what would you suggest next?

thanks

Garrett

Respond back to this post, and we will continue.

Responding but did not get a question

If you find voltage was the problem click accept on previous post. If you find voltage was not the problem reply back to me with this post and we do more checks.

So i just checked the voltage at the dryer and both sides checked in around 117 and 118 volts. So the cord and circuit work fine. I know have a voltmeter in hand so do you have a suggestion?

And 220 vac across the two ?
Not sure what you mean. If i measure the two outer lines? I did not do that but the combined was 238 should I measure this now?

Yes. Check both hot connections together and tell me what your voltage is.

236 volts

just checked

Ok. Unplug unit and check continuity at door switch.

Here is what I did.

I diconnected teh two leads on one side. I tried connected one side to the side a and another to side b I then toggled the switch off and on (open door closed door. I When closed I got an audible signal and a reading on the voltmeter.

Hope this is what you wanted

not real good with this tool yet

Sounds like the switch is working. I am looking for the wire diagram, i will be right back to you.
I have one of these if you want a fax copy let me know.
I do not have a fax machine at my house, but thank you.
ok
On the side of your heating element box, there is a thermal fuse. The fuse is round with two wires, check to see if it is open.

So I found it at the top of the heating element. It is round two wires. I put the voltmeter connections one on each side and got the same alarm sound as before. For reference is this open or closed so I know going forward? So sound and a reading was recieved.

The top one is a thermostat, there should be one on the side also, that should be your fuse.
thanks I will go do.No sound and no readings on this one sorry for that.

With unit unpluged connect wires together and wrap with electrical tape. Plug unit in and try to run dryer. If unit runs replace the thermal fuse (do not keep wires together for more than just testing). Check vent is clean. If vent is clean use thermostat in back of dryer to check temps. If temps go above 165 degrees replace the thermostats with thermal fuse.

applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service

So I connected the wires and the dryer works. I would say that based on the amount of lint blow by we get I need to clean the all the vents. I am not sure how to measure the temp on this is that a problem if I go through a thorough cleaning with the drum removed. I will need to get access to replace this part.

Sorry for the delay. Just remove the vent off the back of dryer and use a meat thermometer in back opening of dryer, but it sound like the vent may have caused your problem.

I have found this part online that I could buy and replace. I will probably do this tomorrow. It is 9pm here. So I believe we are good as I have the problem part and can replace this andclean trhe unit. I will try your technique for the temperature. below is the part I found so if you do not see a problem thank you. Your patience and assistance was great. Garrett

Made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool brands include Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Magic Chef, and others.
Whirlpool also makes various appliance models for Sears / Kenmore. Part Number WHIRLPOOL AP4242472 - Thermostat kit, is used with the following appliance models:

Read more: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=4242472&image=0#ixzz0sIHyeb30
http://www.appliancepartspros.com

I did not see your model listed. I got part # XXXXX thermostat fix kit, at marcone.com for $28.99.