Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Problems with two whirlpool gold applicancesMicrowave/oven…

Customer Question
Problems with two whirlpool gold...
Problems with two whirlpool gold applicances
Microwave/oven combination when trying to cook, door light comes on but that is it - the door started catching some and later the door light began showing up when I selected add a minute or any other cook option

second problem side by side ice maker working but will not dispense ice - water dispenses fine
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/29/2010
Appliance Technician: Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Hiya,

The ice dispenser and water dispensers each have their own solenoid.
Most likely the solenoid for the ice dispenser is failing. To test this you need to use an ohm meter.

If the microwave runs but does not heat then most likely the magnetron is bad.
This is not a home handy person fix. Microwaves can have 25,000 volts stored in them, EVEN when unpluged. This can kill if someone touches the wrong place.
Magnetron $152.95
graphic

To test these components you will need a hands on tech on location with equipment.
Unfortunately, these are are not simple fixes.

Edited by Neilwill on 6/29/2010 at 12:09 AM EST

Let me explain further about the microwave

The door started catching a little every so often and one day I looked a little closer and noticed two small openings when the door was opened that I thought perhaps had moved slightly and subsequently causing the door to catch about one out of 5-10 times when opened. I pushed the two clips inside and as soon as I pushed them, I realized the door would not close completely. My husband then moved the clips back to what he thought was their original position and then the door would close somewhat properly with still some catching but when add a minute or some other cook option was selected, the word door lit up instead and that brings us to the current situation. The cooking was fine until I moved the clips. They are apparently not in the exact position they need to be in for the appliance to operate correctly - does that help at all?

Hiya,

Now I understand. It's good that the microwave did not go on under these circumstances.

Okay, so the door latching mechanism is faulty and this is the reason it will not cook.
There is a safety mechanism involved here. If a microwave door will not properly close then it will not heat!!!! Microwaves are dangerous and can hurt or kill someone.
The techs who work on them have a system or kit to check that they do not leak microwave after the fix or remove a door. Better get a tech on location to replace these door parts. No joke!

Edited by Neilwill on 6/29/2010 at 12:33 AM EST

Your Comments re icemaker: The ice dispenser and water dispensers each have their own solenoid. Most likely the solenoid for the ice dispenser is failing. To test this you need to use an ohm meter.

Clarification - icemaker making ice fine and when you push a glass against the ice dispenser lever/button (whatever the term) - nothing happens - is that something different than a solenoid?

Thanks - too bad on the micro, but I guess I'll have to call someone for that one

This is unrelated to the ice maker up in the freezer. while he is there he will need to run the meter over the ice dispensers Solenoid and see that it is defective.

Edited by Neilwill on 6/29/2010 at 12:52 AM EST
Ice makers and dispensers have many parts and are complicated.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
If you send me the complete model numberof your fridge.
I can send you the parts diagrams,
and my service repair manual. I never received your fridges model number to follow through with this help. This is a lot of info I'm offering for only $14.

Edited by Neilwill on 6/29/2010 at 1:44 AM EST
Are you there?

I have been out of town for a couple of days and now just looking back at email again - I will send model number/s tonight for the refrigerator model

Regarding the microwave, it is frustrating because it simply is not working because I moved a tab that was activated when the door shut and when I thought I moved it to it's original place, it apparently was still slighted off and the unit worked/cooked perfectly fine before that so it is something in the closing mechanism just slightly out of wack and it would be unfortunate to pay alot of money for someone to make the simple adjustment.

Conquest Whirlpool Gold GS5SHAXNL00

I reposted your question for some old timers to find your solution
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech replied 8 years ago
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
please remember we are not in your home to do the repair or test our self and cant always be 100% and can always overlook something / thanks

being a old timer as he said haha ,, what kind of problem are you having with the fridge?