Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE quiet power 3 dishwasher. its 2 yrs old and Im…

Customer Question
I have a GE quiet...
I have a GE quiet power 3 dishwasher. its 2 yrs old and I'm having problems with the drain cycle. I checked the drain line and it is clear. I ran a few cycles and it runs during the wash cycle but nothing happens during the drain cycle. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Appliance Technician: Justin, Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Does it drain at all or just leave a portion of the water behind? Model and serial number please so I can better assist you.

It does not drain at all. MO# XXXXX SN# XXXXX
Ok, be right back with you. Give me a half hour.
OK
This one could be tough. First I'll need to know if your pump is powered. The pump sits at the left rear of the unit. If you can pull it out and start a wash cycle, then with a multimeter ready, hit the start/reset button. I'll need to know if you have voltage there. It should be 120 volts. Can you do this?
I DONT HAVE A MULTI MEETER HANDY
You can place your hand on it if you're careful to feel if it is humming, but I'm not officially recommending this. Usually what I find though on this particular model is either something stuck in the drain hose, something stuck in the pump, or something stuck in the drain hose coupling piece on the same side of the unit. Can you check these things out and get back to me?
Yes

Just have a shop vacuum ready. There will be water.
I drained the pump and the hose and they are clear I have it running through a wash cycle to see if it ill drain.
Ok. Did you try pressing reset to see if the pump runs or hums?
when I hit the reset the wash cycle stops and the pump does nothing. the key board freezes up and I have to open and close it several times to get it to reset

When you hit reset, it is usually a two minute cycle before it will do anything else. This is where we need to verify voltage at the pump. Do you have or does a friend have a meter you can use?

I'll check with the neighbors
Sounds good. Thanks for your patience. I'm doing what I can to help :)
no luck on the multi meeter. any other suggestions?
Well, I can only say that if you hit start and reset and you feel nothing on the drain pump humming, that does not mean you don't have voltage present. At this point, you may have a bad pump or bad control board. I'll really need voltage readings to accurately assist you in diagnosing your unit. There a Lowe's close by? You can get a meter for 15 bucks.
Thanks but I think I'll call it quits for tonight.
Ok, I'll be here tomorrow evening if you need me.